Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Shadwblade2652 View Post
Also I have a 16 GB but I only use like 10 apps that aren't default and I have like 7GB of music and id like for there to be enough space. Any way to run sailfish off of /Home instead of a new partition?
Yes, of course, but then I suggest you delete your Harmattan for good if you want to do that

See, the reason for having multiple partititons is that different OS'es like to live on their own partitions. Basically Harmattan would also only need one (the root partition) but the home directory is on it's own partition to make it simpler to flash the OS without deleting user data, like in OTA update.

The reason MyDocs is on a separate partition is a bit different, that is done so you can export it to external computers as mass memory. That is also the reason it is formatted by default in such an arcane and braindead FS like FAT

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ CA, USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes, of course, but then I suggest you delete your Harmattan for good if you want to do that

See, the reason for having multiple partititons is that different OS'es like to live on their own partitions. Basically Harmattan would also only need one (the root partition) but the home directory is on it's own partition to make it simpler to flash the OS without deleting user data, like in OTA update.

The reason MyDocs is on a separate partition is a bit different, that is done so you can export it to external computers as mass memory. That is also the reason it is formatted by default in such an arcane and braindead FS like FAT
How come nitdroid can rest on the /home partition?

I need some extra space for cloud storage. Help me get some! (You get some too)

The Following User Says Thank You to Shadwblade2652 For This Useful Post:
Is the lack of video playback an issue with graphics or with video codecs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
How come nitdroid can rest on the /home partition?
Nitdroid is not a seaprate OS, really. It is a chroot environment running on a modified Harmattan environment.

Besides, Android is a bit different case than other Linux distributions. Altough it is running a Linux kernel the userland is set up in a very different fashion from your standard unix based OS'es.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@taixzo video. you can recompile gstreamer yourself and use it inside callery components.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
So is Sailfish stable enough to use as a daily device? I have three main concerns:
1. Battery life - Is it optimized enough to survive a full day with moderate usage? Nitdroid drains the battery, but MeeGo never dies in one day

2. Is the audio quality good for calling? I use the microphone for calling just as much as I use sms, so I need it.

3. Is the headphone jack working correctly? Does sound route and work? Music player functionality? (I know how to add shortcut to the harmattan music folder, just want to know if it reads all files (flac, mp3, etc))

Also:

What version do I use? Do I use the 1.0.3.7 provided on the second link on the first page? or do I use 1.0.2.5 for right now? If I use 1.0.3.7 do I need the updated kernel, or is that only for 1.0.3.8?

Also,
Forgive the bombardment of questions :P I'm not the greatest at following a thread (especially one that's nearly 175 pages)

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
So is Sailfish stable enough to use as a daily device? I have three main concerns:
1. Battery life - Is it optimized enough to survive a full day with moderate usage? Nitdroid drains the battery, but MeeGo never dies in one day

2. Is the audio quality good for calling? I use the microphone for calling just as much as I use sms, so I need it.

3. Is the headphone jack working correctly? Does sound route and work? Music player functionality? (I know how to add shortcut to the harmattan music folder, just want to know if it reads all files (flac, mp3, etc))

Also:

What version do I use? Do I use the 1.0.3.7 provided on the second link on the first page? or do I use 1.0.2.5 for right now? If I use 1.0.3.7 do I need the updated kernel, or is that only for 1.0.3.8?

Also,
Forgive the bombardment of questions :P I'm not the greatest at following a thread (especially one that's nearly 175 pages)
Well at least sound for calling is better than Nitdroid!
But serious look here #1326 ff. and #1366 too: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...71#post1405271
And then you got the answer at #1707 don't you?: "We still need the camera to be fixed, as well as GPS and some bugs with the sound."
About version to use see #1692 ff. and use 1.02.5 right now!

Last edited by Garp; 2014-03-26 at 08:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
So is Sailfish stable enough to use as a daily device?
NO.

Lot of remaining bugs, the graphics chip is buggy and this won't be fixed (closed source). No camera, no GPS.

Outdated Sailfish base because of the linux kernel, so more and more unworking apps with time.

And, in my opinion, Harmattan is way better than Sailfish right now, especially because Harmattan is closely integrated with the hardware (notifications for example).

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
NO.

Lot of remaining bugs, the graphics chip is buggy and this won't be fixed (closed source). No camera, no GPS.

Outdated Sailfish base because of the linux kernel, so more and more unworking apps with time.

And, in my opinion, Harmattan is way better than Sailfish right now, especially because Harmattan is closely integrated with the hardware (notifications for example).
Well what importance does the graphics chip carry? What apps does it break at the moment? Video playback does not work I know, but what else?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
every applicatoins gfx bugs - no hardware acceleration - ui laggy.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, nokia, sailfish