Hi,

What transcoding software provides better video quality?

Code:
mencoder
VLC
MPEG Streamclip
Thanks in advance,

Taguapire.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Don't forget the Nokia ITVC software which uses different codecs from all of the above

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Don't forget the Nokia ITVC software which uses different codecs from all of the above
I'm not asking abput that because I'm Mac User and Nokia Software doesn't work in my Mac. I'm interested only in software working on Mac.

Thank you,

Taguapire.

Originally Posted by taguapire View Post
I'm not asking abput that because I'm Mac User and Nokia Software doesn't work in my Mac. I'm interested only in software working on Mac.

Thank you,

Taguapire.
I highly suggest VisualHub, its fairly cheap and is amazing at transcoding.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I highly suggest VisualHub, its fairly cheap and is amazing at transcoding.
Why pay for it if there exists good freeware software.

Regards,

Taguapire.

I use ffmpeg myself, works great.

Originally Posted by Navi View Post
I use ffmpeg myself, works great.
I know that these apps work fine, but I'm asking about the quality of resultant video files. I tought that the trhee are very usable and works with out issue, but quality is a diferent matter.

Thank you,

Taguapire.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by taguapire View Post
Sorry, didn't realize you were on a Mac since your original post didn't state that.

Keep your eyes open as there will soon be a Mac version of ITVC

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Quicktime pro can make .mp4 files which play fine on the N810. Or, if your source videos are DVDs, you should have a look at handbrake (free).

Now, the question was about quality. Nobody can answer that, because it depends a lot on the codec used and the settings you choose. Personally, I suggest:

resolution= 320x240 or 400x240 (the Nokias can't play well anything far above these resolutions and those are exactly half the screen resolution) or (if you have different aspects ratios) anything where x=240 or y=400.

fps= original or half rate (saves 50% space and processing power to decode)

bit rate= around 400 for half rate and 600 for full rate. You'll need to try a bit, but the N810 cannot really play high bit rates.

codec= h264 is the most modern codec, main profile works on OS2008

sound= aac, 96kbps for mono and 128kbps for stereo

container= mp4

I find that those are a good compromise between quality, battery life when playing, size of the resulting data and time to encode. I find the quality to be similar to the sample movie from Nokia.

About time to encode: using handbrake you have the choice between ffmpeg and the apple compressor. The apple compressor is much, much slower to encode.

Don't forget to deinterlace in Handbrake when needed. This is the most common mistake.

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Quicktime pro can make .mp4 files which play fine on the N810. Or, if your source videos are DVDs, you should have a look at handbrake (free).

Now, the question was about quality. Nobody can answer that, because it depends a lot on the codec used and the settings you choose. Personally, I suggest:

resolution= 320x240 or 400x240 (the Nokias can't play well anything far above these resolutions and those are exactly half the screen resolution) or (if you have different aspects ratios) anything where x=240 or y=400.

fps= original or half rate (saves 50% space and processing power to decode)

bit rate= around 400 for half rate and 600 for full rate. You'll need to try a bit, but the N810 cannot really play high bit rates.

codec= h264 is the most modern codec, main profile works on OS2008

sound= aac, 96kbps for mono and 128kbps for stereo

container= mp4

I find that those are a good compromise between quality, battery life when playing, size of the resulting data and time to encode. I find the quality to be similar to the sample movie from Nokia.

About time to encode: using handbrake you have the choice between ffmpeg and the apple compressor. The apple compressor is much, much slower to encode.

Don't forget to deinterlace in Handbrake when needed. This is the most common mistake.
I forgot to put Handbrake in the list About h264, I tried a lot of profiles and no one plays fine in my N810, The only codec working fine without any issue is Divx or tweaked MP4 from tablet-transcode script used in transcoding tools by Nokia, but it uses mencoder.

Taguapire.