Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Hey b-man,
First, thanks for all ur great contributions! I am having a problem with your jaunty rootfs. I have downloaded it many times but every time i extract it , i get an EOF error towards the end. Can i get the md5sum for the rootfs ? Also, i tried installing jaunty using ur debootstrap guide several times as well but always ended up with a non working keyboard on my n810. Matchbox-keyboard worked so i tried using xev in a terminal but key presses didn't register so i know it's not a problem of the keyboard mappings. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Thanks! , md5sum shuld work if you copy it over to /bin in ubuntu. And also i believe the keyboard problem is partly related to a hal/upstart issue. (i'm not even shure if the N810 keyboard is working in Mer yet ). But hopefuly this problem will get resolved soon. Allthough it is nice to know that the Virtual Keyboard is no longer crashing xserver-xorg in ubuntu.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
n810 keyboard used to work, but ubuntu guys changed something

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Hi b-man, the same is happening to me, I've tried downloading it 3 times and everytime I try to extract it I get the same EOF error.

Can you check if there's a problem?

Thanks!!

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Hi, i meant i want the know what u get when u run md5sum on your rootstrap to check it against mine. I believe you didn't upload it fully as I get unexpected EOF errors at the end of extraction everytime after reaching /usr/lib/aspell/cp1257.cmap. My /var/ directory is almost empty and had to manually create all the sub-directories so as to get apt-get working from chroot. I also want to know also if i can disable the mer/jaunty splash screen so as to see what is happening as it boots. On the other hand, the n810 keyboard worked on a fresh installed mer 0.6 but the Fn key and Return keys didnt. messing around with xmodmap, i managed to get most keys/combinations working the way i want except the Fn key which didn't register any keycode so i had to choose another Mode_switch key!

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I think that the rootstrap image that i uploaded somehow got corrupt, so i will upload a new image sometime tomorrow or saturday . And you can disable the splash screen by doing the following in ubuntu;
Code:
mv /lib/init/splash-functions /lib/init/splash-functions.old
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
I just updated the first page to include the new rootstrap image witch includes fixes for xsessions and xorg, i've also replaced mer-rescue-menu with a slightly modified version of deblet-rescue-menu. And i have included a fuew xserver-xorg-input fixes to the second post.

enjoy!

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Has anyone here had success with gnome (as in the OP) lately? If not, I'm going to give KDE a shot in a few days. I'd really like to eventually get a login manager going so I can use both hildon and gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever.flavor.I'm.feeling.at.the.moment

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-26 at 02:50.

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
Has anyone here had success with gnome (as in the OP) lately? If not, I'm going to give KDE a shot in a few days. I'd really like to eventually get a login manager going so I can use both hildon and gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever.flavor.I'm.feeling.at.the.moment
KDE and Gnome shuld now work in the latest ubuntu rootstrap

Btw, i just released a beta1 version of ubuntu-rescue-menu and ubuntu-omap-fb-splash, check it out!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
There is no way KDE4.2 would be usable, even if there's a ton of swap... i tested it 3 times. It showed me a panel and background. The mouse freezed.

Both KDM and GDM are working btw. and login without password is possible (no keyboard in n800)

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu