Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jecargo22 View Post
Hey people,

Here is a map where you can place your N9s.
Let's see how many people checks-in. Let's try to be accurate and use some tag to identify your device.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1f019b930e8621
To add your location, click on edit on the left panel and add a placemark where you are. then click save and your position should be there.
Leave a comment in this post too saying from where you posted it.

Cheers
I started one ages ago, but it looks like I forgot to link to it in my thread
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...579,158.027344
It was originally linked in another thread, which disappeared.
No wonder hardly anyone was signing up!

Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Jalyst started a thread like this several months ago where we could indicate our location and see it in Google maps.
I think this thread get lost after a bug in the forum. If someone feels so brave to do it again, i'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by jecargo22 View Post
I tried to look for a similar post but I found that the original one was lost somehow. If you can find it, feel free to link it to this, or I will do the same in the first post.
Regarding the language, we have the download numbers from few developers which we could use to correct for language bias.
I know this is far from perfect (there are not even 100 hits on the map yet mind you) but if this number grows high enough, we can start getting an idea of what is the landscape of N9s around the world despite of it's restricted distribution by Nokia.
I had a better approach than that thread.....
I explained all my ideas in detail in that thread, but then that thread disappeared
I then started a new thread with the intention to get things going there, but I've been so busy that it fell off the radar.

Oh well, at least this idea has got some kind of momentum again, better than nothing!
If you want I can totally delete/remove the map I started.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-28 at 10:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
To quote myself from MNB (haven't noticed this thread before):

Originally Posted by incognito
An exercise in futility if you ask me – there are many double entries due to the fact that Google displays only 200 placemarks per page, and when people add their placemark if they are on the first page they won’t see it, so they’ll try again, and again until they give up… And then anybody can change anything…

So you can’t see all the placemarks at once, and everybody and his dog can mess with the data, making the map waste of time.

Now, if some app devs would to compile a map with actual N9 users, be it from GPS data or IP address – both of which doesn’t really need to breach privacy if you tie the data to the nearest big city, and preserve uniqueness with MD5(IMEI+MAC) – it would be an interesting data to look at.
That being said, I've added my unicorn, precioussss one to the map. Still, it would be the best to get the devs of popular globally available apps such as MeeCast, Battery Usage, Filebox, etc. to collaborate on a simple statistics collection task that would produce a proper, statistically valid map of N9 users. Or better still, to make Nokia publish the collected data as they have the best statistics available; tho I very much doubt we'll ever see that data.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yeah I was mulling over a diff. approach, or some way to better leverage Google Maps.
But all my ideas/thoughts went totally missing in the original thread...
And when I started that new thread, I didn't have time to get another dialogue going.
Some good "food for thought" there incognito.....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-28 at 10:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Darmstadt, Germany
Added
Nokia N9, 64GB, black in Darmstadt, Germany.

The Following User Says Thank You to simonizer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal, Porto
Now it appears two times lool

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I started one ages ago, but it looks like I forgot to link to it in my thread
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...579,158.027344
It was originally linked in another thread, which disappeared.
No wonder hardly anyone was signing up!

I had a better approach than that thread.....
I explained all my ideas in detail in that thread, but then that thread disappeared

Oh well, at least this idea has got some kind of momentum again, better than nothing!
If you want I can totally delete/remove the map I started.

Jalyst, I think that all credit should go to your original idea, and people who took part on this positioning experiment should recognize that.

I would expect that those ideas and approach you came out with were much better than this one I found (I tried initially with Nokia maps website, also tried to use Nokia Pulse as a way to invite people to chek in as part of a group but failed, then, I found google maps as the simplest, but also flaw way to get people posting their N9s on the map covering as many users as possible without restricting too much, well, you need a google account to do it though).

As it has been said, it is a poor way and it is prone for statistical innacuracies, and duplicated entried, although, I have to say, it is still of some use to help us to have a snapshot of where the N9s are globally. Somehow not what we should expect based on the original list of countries where it was distributed.

If your initial idea is still worth evolving, maybe we could move forward this and find a better replacement to the "old google map" approach. It this post can be useful for that, I will think that my effort was not fruitless.

Anyhow, it will be difficult for people to come back a post their N9 in yet another map, so maybe we should find a way to make it attractive to the owners (some social location based app? where N900 and others could join while keeping the numbers for each handset separate for statistical puurposes, etc. That is why I was so keen on Nokia Pulse, initially, but clearly it wasnt design for that purpuse, and you cannot create groups where people can join unless the original creator invite each N9 owner one by one. I could not do that for obvious reasons...

im the only one with a N9 in Florida,forever alone lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maserti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by damuffinman View Post
That's most likely the case, I know that there are many active N9 users - the Dospy N9 forum (main forum for Chinese N9 users) is much more active than TMO

It would great if you could post in this forum you mentioned and leave the link for the map there. You could also suggest them that if they cannot use the google maps to locate their N9s, maybe they could try to find a different way to do it for Chinese N9 owners. We could figure out something later on in how to accommodate their N9 location numbers with ours.

Just added my N9 to the map

Lima, Perú
N9 16gb with white housing

The Following User Says Thank You to lebb53 For This Useful Post:
Added mine in Los Angeles, CA. White, 64GB

The Following User Says Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post: