Active Topics

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It's close to malignant to say that "they must have meant what I understood". In fact, the press release for example for the Rovio partnership mentioned exactly what should be expected... and it did not mention a native port of Angry Birds.

(Which does not, of course, change the fact that the announced features weren't released, either.)

When you say "do not play advocates" it translates to "do not care what they said, let's talk about what I wished for".
I do not really want angry birds and do not care, I want native apps and support. And no, I do not mean "what I wish" I mean what is logical and benefit for community and not PR!
P.S. I do expect both angry birds and younite released, but I'm not talking about lack of angry birds but of released younite app being not native. Tell me what was promised there please

Last edited by ZogG; 2014-10-21 at 09:45.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
And what is a VM?

Let's see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
"In computing, a virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of [...]"
So - what is Dalvik emulating, then? You probably want to read the entire article, rather than just the executive summary.

Dalvik is a process VM, just like the Java Virtual Machine, or the .Net framework, neither of which emulate anything at all (except in a very, very abstract sense)

Last edited by strongm; 2014-10-21 at 10:31.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Surely it is not difficult to understand why some of us are dissapointed with what has been inferred and what has not been delivered by Jolla?

A year on I did expect more. I was looking forward to smooth native apps and interesting TOHs from Jolla or the partners they had lined up. But other than some fantastic individual efforts there is been nothing from Jolla or any other company to drive sailfish app development or produce content TOHs. I think it is fair to say that at this point, given what had been achieved in the 10 months prior to launch, we all expected a little more.

To me, taking a subjective view, I worry at the current scenario. Partnerships coming to little and releases slipping has an ominous feel. I suppose the current target is launching in the East, maybe that will provide the numbers and money to allow further progress/investment.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2014-10-21 at 10:24. Reason: typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I was indeed expecting more from those partnership and I still think that at the end, we will see something native from Younited and something more Jolla-specific from Angry Birds (not that I care too much)
BUT
that is again the same story: they do what they can and they try to address as much as possible concerns and issues, while they try to expand... all that with their 100 pair of hands.

If they are too slow for you, then what to say: be patient probably. I am quite confident that Jolla is probably too slow for lots of sailors too :P and they probably are late in the original schedule.

This is completely fine of course to complain and they definitely made some choices that do not fit with some people. But when you run a business, you have to decide: they try to find a balance between satisfying first/current consumers and attract new consumers.

With regards to having more native development, I think they try to attract xda-developpers, and all those currently in Android as a second-best or even because nothing could fit their needs (a lot being 'linux' people). So having some android connection is the way to talk to them, and let them try.

At the end, I do not think they promote Android apps but be realistic, there is still a long way before sailfishos can be independant from Android apps (of course, you can live without android support but how many Jolla do not have android support installed?).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
(of course, you can live without android support but how many Jolla do not have android support installed?).
At least one. I am typing this reply on it.

I seriously believe that the Android support was a bad move. It's one of those short-term wins that is a loss in the long-term. No one other than a handful of die-hard supporters is going to spend time developing native apps now. Why would they? To reach the 10000 potential users? When they can spend their time developing the same app for Android and reach the same 10000 but also 99990000 more?

I am afraid that for most customers, Jolla is nothing but yet another Android phone with a novel UI

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
So - what is Dalvik emulating, then?
Dalvik is emulating The Java® Virtual Machine.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Dalvik is emulating The Java® Virtual Machine.

It isn't, you know (and I wasn't asking the question out of curiosity or ignorance)

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
So basically shown TOHs with angry birds symbol is not a promise?
Sorry my bad
Actually I DO agree with you here, however you took my words out of context.

If you read back What I said, it was;
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Expectations aside, I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?
Now where do I mention angry birds on my message....

To repeat; I am of the mind that Jolla should launch an Angry Birds TOH and a matching theme. Yes, and the quicker the better

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
At the end, I do not think they promote Android apps but be realistic, there is still a long way before sailfishos can be independant from Android apps (of course, you can live without android support but how many Jolla do not have android support installed?).
Yep, here's one

I actually did download the android compability package, just to see what it looked like, but never even installed a single android application on it, just deleted the package from my system after looking at it.

It might be a strange idea to grasp to some people, but I am not an "app kind of guy", I tend to write the stuff I need on the spot, usually with standard set of unix tools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Expectations aside, I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?

Besides, it should not be that hard to implement by oneself, I'd imagine the specification is public or if not, there's the android implementation to study.

(disclaimer: I have to confess I have not looked at it since I don't need it; I am using my own cloud for my needs...)
But you would assume that wouldn't you?

If WhatsApp became a partner of Jolla you would assume a native client of WhatsApp that wasn't community driven and the community driven one would most likely cease to exist.

Since whats the point in a partnership with a company if they were not going to really do anything for your device (e.g something native)? I mean f-secure was clearly coming to android anyway (am assuming that there application is somewhat new) that it wouldn't of made a difference to us (the users) whether a partnership was forged or not. Well aside from wacky themes and novelty otherhalfs.

All this does is give f-secure more publicity with Jolla users.