Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well hello guys.
I have an N900 without a single fall into the ground, without a single little drop of water in the interior, nor any sign of violence done to it ,always taken care of. It broken from nothing. Left it charging at night like every other night and when I woke up I see it went bananas. It's functional and every other thing works nicely, but the screen is black and the LED backlight flickens like crazy. It worked for a little while when I tried to power it on hours after I discovered this problem. I put it in my pocket, and, and after one travel of less than 30 minutes on the bus, VOILA ! It's broken again.

http://youtu.be/ifGFfNdnPgs

This shows how is still functional. I opened an ssh session (Wifi connects automatically to my home WLAN) and then I opened an x11vnc server. It works fine. Even touch sensor works good.

Is there any way of fixing it? Counting that I don't have warranty and this model didn't ship to my country, so no real chance of getting Nokia to fix it.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

A worried man.

Last edited by sr00t; 2012-03-19 at 22:59.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
oh wow what a bummer!
Have you tried reflashing? could be s/w.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Most likely the screen cable. £20 on ebay.

edit: To qualify that -the screen cable bends each time you slide the two halves of your computer... its a moving part - the only moving part really. And it work hardens and dies after a while. Doesnt have to be abused... just used.

Last edited by phedders; 2012-03-20 at 07:46.

Yes, the gpu is inside the same chip as the cpu. It's highly unlikely it would break by itself. I would back up everything over ssh, try to reflash, than look for a spare ribbon or lcd or both.

Thanks a lot guys. It's really important info for me.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
Yes, the gpu is inside the same chip as the cpu. It's highly unlikely it would break by itself. I would back up everything over ssh, try to reflash, than look for a spare ribbon or lcd or both.
Do you think is a software problem? Even if sometimes it displays nokia logo and sometimes not? And even if sometimes fails to display backupmenu too?

Originally Posted by phedders View Post
Most likely the screen cable. £20 on ebay.

edit: To qualify that -the screen cable bends each time you slide the two halves of your computer... its a moving part - the only moving part really. And it work hardens and dies after a while. Doesnt have to be abused... just used.
Which name has that item? So I can figure out how to ship it to my country.

Any test I could do to confirm any of these two theories?

You're being very helpful.

Thanks and best regards!

Any help please? Sorry for the self-bump.

I'm interested in how this turns out, had a similar problem on my old n900

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post: