Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
It shouldn't require a forum ora community to get a device purchased into a productive state. It should take a tutorial.

The worth of a platform shouldn't be found in apps or services from competitors. It should be evident in native apps and services that support of a competitor means quality and character were esteemed and insisted.

It shouldn't take afew thousand posts to find a roadmap. ACompany with a clear vision executes; what's not present now should appear when its ready and according to the quality felt in what is had.

If its beta, then be beta. But don't make the finish line or the first leg what is clearly a warm up lap.

If the vision is clear, the experience doesn't need a work-around.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
I'm confused. He disagrees with you, so ..., you ignore him?
Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. I'm not ignoring him, but he can ignore me us much he likes.

But I'm not using any of my time to reply to that particular post when he is writing a post that attack people and have not any sensible material to which to reply. If he had written good argumentations against my writings and and not used personal attacks I would have continue discussion with him about the points.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-20 at 06:42.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
It's fanboyism and reading this thread has shown up many such posters
It has nothing to do with fanboyism. It is all about good manners.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Anyway, MTP has been put down as never supported on OS X, not natively. So what was tested? Philippe has been stated often enough that something was broken - how can you break what's never been there?
Its true that it doesn't work on OSX 10.8 either. I think people are making assumption that Mavericks broke MTP on OSX. I still haven't upgraded to Mavericks and Jolla don't show up for me either.

I guess they had somekind of syncing solution ready that doesn't work on Mavericks, but I don't understand why plugging Jolla to my hackintosh won't work, if they had solution pre-Mavericks/OSX 10.9.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Its true that it doesn't work on OSX 10.8 either. I think people are making assumption that Mavericks broke MTP on OSX. I still haven't upgraded to Mavericks and Jolla don't show up for me either.

I guess they had somekind of syncing solution ready that doesn't work on Mavericks, but I don't understand why plugging Jolla to my hackintosh won't work, if they had solution pre-Mavericks/OSX 10.9.
If I this time understood correctly what Philippe said, you need to install Google's MTP software on pre-Mavericks Macs.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by att View Post
If I this time understood correctly what Philippe said, you need to install Google's MTP software on pre-Mavericks Macs.
Yep. http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

It's essentially a very basic gui that looks a bit like a Finder window from the 1990s which wraps around the open source libmtp and libusb libraries to provide support for a closed protocol developed by Microsoft for the Zune and the PlaysForSure devices.

Google seem to have extended at some point too. It's obviously just the sort of thing Apple would be more than keen to support.

There's also a PTP protocol for photos that cameras and iPhoto/Aperture etc use but that doesn't seem to work well either on the Jolla .

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Jesus ****ing christ stop flooding the thread with ******** about MTP. Make a ****ing thread to fight over it.

Soz for anger but that's frustrating.
As far as I'm concerned, mtp is Multi Terran Pattern -camo, used by british army and its superior in majority of settings. Pun intended.

Last edited by parasemic; 2013-12-20 at 09:32.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
I have tried to help all of you here at TMO, and to bring out perspectives that are not first thought. It seems that some people think it is about fanboyism.

I can see the flaws on the Jolla but that doesn't mean there isn't also something good at it. And I have been happy to hear both successes and failures/problems here. In failure cases I have tried to help people to get around those failures if I have been able to do it. And in some cases I have been successful on those based on the feedback. And those tips are not for non-technical people. I know that.

I definitely live on a bubble and I know it. I can see it when I go around. But so is almost all people here. There has been discussion about "average joe". There are some features that are very popular and highly used on smartphones and are common like voice calls and SMS but these features are few in numbers. What other features people are using are greatly varied by country, age group, gender, trends and technical capabilities of people. So I'm very skeptical when somebody will say something like: this product will not succeed because it has no feature X and Y, or that the product is not fit for "average joe", or that the product is crap because it doesn't have this feature. It is not about fanboyism or some illogical thing. But if people here want to think like that, it is okay.

And I hope people will tell what they think about Jolla and I hope that Jolla will listen and improve things based on that. I for example is waiting many features and fixes that I hope Jolla will bring, and I'm also waiting to see how Jolla will be able to surprise me in the future (hopefully in positive manners). And I don't know what will happen to Jolla, if it will be a success or not.

I also hope that people here try to respect each other, and don't do personal attacks to others. I have tried to keep up on that premise. I don't know if I have been successful. If I have offended anybody I offer an apology.

But I have come to a conclusion that my journey here at TMO has come to an end for time being. I have followed irregulary ITT and TMO as long as they have been, and I might come back at later time. Hopefully the level of discussion will rise when I'm not disturbing the discussions with my "fanboy" comments and "seriously flawed" writings

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for ALL of you.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
@att
Sad to read that you are frustrated and hope you are back soon.
I can definitely understand your position. And don't know why here are so many people who are whining that the Jolla can't do this and can't do that.

I allways thought, that everbody here in TMO and who have ordered the Jolla phone, knows exactly that the phone won't be perfect (art least at the beginning) and that there will be missing features. But give it a little while for judging if it is a good or a bad phone. At the beginning I also thought that the N900 is missing a lot and now? I still love it and don't miss to much. And if you consider that there are just around 100 Employees at Jolla it's a great feat!

Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
I always thought if a device couldnt do this or couldnt do that, they wouldnt whine, they'd make it happen, I thought that was the point of tmo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience