Active Topics

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
- color fax functionality
thats hardly a request that the general public deems a priority.
sorry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archzai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
I expect the new firmware to feature:
- Added portrait mode for browser
- Added portrait mode for sms
- Added portrait mode for pdf
- Added mms
- Added more options for videorecorder
- Fixed noise issue with images
- Increased battery life by 10%
- Updated Ovi Maps to version 3.0
Wow. Brace yourself for disappointment then.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Why? You work in Nokia on the new firmware? I'm sorry, but what i listed is nothing special, but something the average non-geek user will expect. I'm not a normal user, but i don't request miracles, considering the firmware which the phone is being sold with is roughly already 5 weeks old.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Relativistic View Post
It would be great if we could get some info from the devs on what is currently being worked on, ETA on next firmware, etc.
New features are definitely nothing that developers are allowed to talk about, that's stuff for the marketing guys.
And Nokia never announces ETAs for firmware updates in advance...

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
Just wondering.

All I see is people telling others to post bug reports. But there are so many reports.
6500 bugs are nothing and quite handable. For example GNOME Bugzilla has more than half a million. :-P

Originally Posted by archzai View Post
Has anyone actually gotten a reply regarding a bug they posted? Or has anyone from the Maemo team actually responded to a bug report saying they will address it? I have this sinking feeling the website is just a giant black hole to keep people quiet while resources are put into Maemo 6
Nope. Mostly it's the Bugsquad and me who are the first folks to take a look at a bug report, but I definitely also see a growing number of Nokians that care. Plus I import useful bugs so Nokians must care about them, but unfortunately there is still too much stuff that happens behind a curtain, yeah, but I see slow but sure improvements.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Yeah, i mean i doubt they will release it past 24th, because they don't work on X-Mas do they? So it makes more less just 20 days left, but that still is alot of time. I think the new fw should fix alot things, as well as add new ones, right?
- Added mms
Heh, I see some disappointments coming up for Jack6428... :-)

EDIT: Darn, sjgadsby wrote that already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Why? You work in Nokia on the new firmware? I'm sorry, but what i listed is nothing special, but something the average non-geek user will expect. I'm not a normal user, but i don't request miracles, considering the firmware which the phone is being sold with is roughly already 5 weeks old.
You basically ask for a lot of non-trivial-to-code features.
"Already 5 weeks old" is a bit funny to me. I wonder if you get huge new features every 5 weeks for Microsoft Windows too...
Interesting expectations here, but there is no unlimited manpower, plus also quite some bugs to fix.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
New features are definitely nothing that developers are allowed to talk about, that's stuff for the marketing guys.
Which is sad

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Why?
Inline below.

Announced, so a given.

There's been no indication that Nokia has reversed course to consider a portrait on-screen keyboard necessary. So: very unlikely.

It's highly unlikely this is a priority item at this time. There are bigger bugs to squash. Also, community software, such as Xournal, can fill in here.

- Added mms
This may be added at some point, but I'd say it's unlikely to happen so soon.

Also unlikely to be a priority.

There was talk of work on various camera improvements at the summit. I wouldn't be surprised by some improvements to the camera, but "fixed" might be a hard target to hit for everyone, especially as the flash hardware simply is what it is.

Power efficiency is likely to see continued improvement. I wouldn't bank on any specific percentage though.

Nokia has repeatedly stated Ovi Maps on Maemo and Ovi Maps on Symbian are two entiely different programs, and the versions and features of each will be increased independantly. Therefore, asking for "version 3.0" on Maemo is meaningless.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Looking at some of the sample images (for instance this one), to me the artefacts from excessive noise reduction actually seem to be more annoying than the noise itself.