Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi All!

I'm seeking for answer to the following: i extracted and installed easy debian, it works perfect. Then i decided to do try ubuntu this way. It also works perfectly, but somehow the two system/application is not independent from each other. I mean: i can not run both of them at the same time (like it is in the video), and when i change something (for example the backround, or the panel settings) in one of them, the changes also taking place in the other system... So my question is: what should i do to make the two systems run independently?

Thanks,

jm

Probably, you don't have /home/user separated for them, using Maemo ones instead.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Probably, you don't have /home/user separated for them, using Maemo ones instead.
Thanks, Estel! I tested some things, and yes, both debian and ubuntu uses maemo's /home/user directory when they are mounted... So this indicates the question: what should i do to separate the systems from each other...?

(just one more thing: when i set for example wallpaper in debian from the directory "lxde", of course it does not appear in ubuntu, but when i set ubuntu's wallpaper from "lxde/other", the debian wallpaper disappears; and vice versa. the same thing happens with everything that i change: panel settings, appearence, etc)

Thanks, jm

Last edited by justmemory; 2013-03-29 at 07:41.

For EasyDebian, see it's wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

...looking for "onfirstchroot" and similar scripts. Those are things, that get automatically executed, when you mount your debian partition/image file, or chroot into it, executed either from inside chroot, or from Maemo.

Alternatively, you may want to try latest Squeeze images of EasyDebian - they should have /home/user separated, already (via exact same method as I described - proper on*chroot script).

As for Ubuntu, I have no idea - probably, it depends if you also use easy-chroot for access it (if yes, same method with scripts in per-defined directory, should work).

You should also be aware, that Easy Debian have own thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34550&page=290

...but you may want to start reading it non-chronological order, starting from last page, due to it's rather epic size.

Good luck and have fun!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thank you, Estel!

Here is what i have got so far:
- i decided not to mess things up, so i removed easy debian and easy ubuntu completely.
- Then i installed easy-chroot and ubuntu-n900, so easy ubuntu booted smoothly, except it always said that i had to run XSETTINGS or define icon theme. Anyway, it had icon theme, so i did not understand the thing.
- Then i run into the similar problem someone mentioned before: updating. I editied the sources.list, because the one that comes with easy ubuntu (ports.ubuntu.com) is not working anymore. I changed it to update from karmic repos and it updated fine, i installed gimp, ufraw. They are working perfectly so far.
- Then i run another similar problem someone mentioned before: terminal has no keyboard input. This is almost true: xterm - which comes also with easy ubuntu and can be run from pcmanfm - has keyboard input. I checked permissions and found this: while ubuntu chroot has root privileges, lxde doesn't. I tried everything to change this situation (chown, chmod), but i couldn't figure out how to solve it. So i did the following (CAUTION! DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!): i edited the ubbie and ubbie-sue files located in Maemo's usr/bin. It has a line: "UBUSER=$USER". I changed it to "UBUSER=$UBUSER" in both files and now lxde boots with root privileges and lxterminal has keyboard input. But be careful, because in this way you are in super user mode, so you can mess things up easier. The only thing i miss is the virtual keyboard but i think this can be helped some way.

So far easy ubuntu in this way is working fine, i find it faster than easy debian so i would not make tests about running them independently at the same time; i don't want to install easy-deb-chroot, for now.

Cheers,

jm

EDIT: It would be nice to have keyboard input after leaving then returning to easy ubuntu lxde. Anyway i'm trying not to be so malcontent; i do like this app very-very much and i'm really thankful for it.

Last edited by justmemory; 2013-04-02 at 11:13.

Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
i find it faster than easy debian
From technical point of view, there is no reason for it to work faster than ED. Or slower, for that matter. It's both using chroot, LXDE desktop environment... Easy Ubuntu is less popular than Easy Debian, so the former may be less thoroughly tested = have some unstable/non-working things,, but thats about it.

What *does* improve speed, is using Easy <whatever> from native (ext3, or, preferably, ext4) partition, *not* loopback image file. Having it on eMMC and swap on microSD (so swap is only one constant thing accessing that physical storage) helps even further, just like using thumb for exterior system (maemo), as it leaves more free RAM for debian/ubuntu things.

Good luck,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Thank you for the correction, Estel, you are right. I use easy ubuntu with the same technical parameters, so yes, it is just me finding it a bit more fast.

I guess i take the challange to test easy ubuntu and find out it's "weaknesses"

Cheers,

jm

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Russia, Ufa
Where I can get the ubuntu img file? The link to dropbox doesn't work

Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Where I can get the ubuntu img file? The link to dropbox doesn't work
Hi, Atlas!

You can download the files from here: http://qole.org/files/

jm

Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
Hey guys, I have accidentally deleted the ubuntu.img.ext2, so whenever i tried to run ubuntu lxde, i get

Code:
ERROR!

You have no ubuntu.img.ext2 file on your memory cards

Please use the ubuntu Image Installer in Extras
the dropbox link is not working anymore, and I don't know if the file is listed in qole's website. I couldn't find ubuntu.img.ext2 in http://qole.org/files/. In the website, it has 6 ubuntu files. Which one should I download?

thx!