how about using some kind of facial recognition for people in your address book which have an account picture to automatically tag new shot images with this person's name?
this way you could show something like "xx pictures" in the address book for contacts for example.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-13 at 23:28. Reason: status

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Maybe someday

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I don't know how likely facial recognition would be, but I like the idea of manually tagging photos with people's names, and linking that with contacts.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I don't know how likely facial recognition would be, but I like the idea of manually tagging photos with people's names, and linking that with contacts.
Even easier, exposing contact list names as available tags?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JosefA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
we had a thread here about tagging with names from the contacts list recently. should be merged maybe.

anyway, tagging with names is only a first step, no matter if done manually or by face recognition someday. it could probably be easily done, but we've found cases when this isn't particularly useful.

a 2nd step should add the ability to add information that's unique to a person to structured data fields in the image header. this way, a readable tag "birgit schmidt" would still be applied, but somewhere hidden in the image is the information that this photo "depicts the person who has the mail address bs@somemail.net and is known as biggsi on facebook". this information can be retrieved from the contacts application as soon as the user selects the name for tagging. it pretty much identifies a single person (rather than a group of people who happen to share the same name) and can be used across platforms and services; it's not specific to maemo or depend on one application.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
we had a thread here about tagging with names from the contacts list recently. should be merged maybe.
This one, to be specific. Just in case anyone is interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Something along these lines was suggested/discussed by one of the co-creation groups (my group :P) at the summit: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ht=co-creation (N-rich)

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please create a Brainstorm item:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/create/default/

and read the links in my sig.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Does nobody else see a privacy issue here with embedding data in a picture? Also how are you going to update this metadata when some information changes?

"someday"? Why someday?
The pictures viewer on macbooks got facerecognition! Or that's at least what a friend of mine showed me.
I might be missing something here ofc :P