well thats not a stupid question... anyways nokia is selling its technologies & patents in yard sale's... so that might be possible

on second thought : nokia never(never ever never ever never never never ever) does anything that our community(TMO) likes/love's/wishes..
so its not possible

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
please please please port maemo to android devices, that is the only way to let our community to survive forever

The Following User Says Thank You to blackjack4it For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Can it be ported on HP Touchpad, that will be a killer, I will sleep with it each night next to me in my bed

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
For the past while, I have simply been using Gnome-shell on my HP Touchsmart laptop. The Gnome actually modeled a lot after Maemo5! Take a look at the developer logs. The only thing I see that it's missing is ease of getting the screen to rotate without some weird hacks. It would also be really cool if I could get an internal GPS in it.

Gnome-Shell still needs to add multitouch support a well, but then maemo5 never really had it either.

slaapliedje

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
Ok maemo is not fully open...

but what about Hildon Desktop (desktop taskmanager & apps), is that open ?

if so we can complete the missing chunks from nemo & MeeGo and complete the Jigsaw puzzle of maemo...

and not stopping there

taking all the driver database from Debian Live Cd/Dvd, we can make maemo live cd/dvd/usb working on virtually any thing Ubuntu has Reached... i.e. maemo devices,meego devices,android devices webos, Desktop's/Laptop's

Maemo 5 live port(Concept) for Pc Laptop & Android Tablet's

just a thought
but knoppix & Ubuntu live cd's must also have been a thought in some phase of time
Something like the Viliv N5 or Umid m1 or Umid BZ. Runs ubuntu and other distro's. Must be very cheap these days on ebay.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2012-07-05 at 16:52.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can people even find a Pre 3?
EDIT: already answered this question a whitle ago. Forgot about it. LOL

I'll write a review one of these days.

EDIT 2: How about replicating the UI of Maemo 5 in gnome 3. Would that be possible?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2012-07-05 at 17:10.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Copyright...

Why doesn't someone try get Maemo running as a fully working chroot first?
Full GUI.

I have previously had Maemo running on a Galaxy S2. Was working fine, but was not worth my time or effort.
It's was CLI only, I couldn't get a GUI because of the way chrooting is done on Droid. Need to open the gui via a different program.

I think I deleted all the files and work after a few weeks. Due to copyright and that fact that I lost interest.

It is an easy job to get it running. Any android device. The droid kernel is not really compatible. Chroot was sharing the kernel. Oh well.

Edit: By any android: I mean "ARM" based.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Qwazix has been trying to do this with the n9. Maemo chroot runs fine but still could not get the GUI to load.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Even though this is more of a whine than an observation, I still find it odd that an open source system as such has not been ported to any other hardware.

Android has popped up in many places and it's less open.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Even though this is more of a whine than an observation, I still find it odd that an open source system as such has not been ported to any other hardware.

Android has popped up in many places and it's less open.
Legally you currently would have to scrape out a LOT of the crap. BME is being made unnecessary given power kernel progress in version 51, gets rid of one thing, but there's other components that are Nokia only and not exactly freely distributable. Even though, for instance, /sbin/preinit is closed source but Nokia has given permission to modify and distribute it for community open source projects, **** knows if the permission given on one bugtracker bug will hold up as sound legal defence if you were to put said code on another device, because even if Nokia as a whole upholds that permission indefinitely (pffft, right), they could still play whatever word games they choose with the word "community" to mean that other devices are outside of the intended meaning for open source community projects.

But idk why Android gets ported more places. Perhaps because it's most popular? It's ubiquity means that more hardware already has binaries that will work with Android available somewhere? More people on the platform certainly helps. Less dilligent concern for legality probably is a factor as well - I've not been around much on these devices/phones/OS's parts of the internets, but this community seems to care about legality a lot more than many other device user communities I've glimpsed.

Of course, if you put Android on something, Google won't have a problem with it, if you put Maemo (5 or otherwise) on something (and left their trademark/copyright logos/whatever in there), Nokia would probably send their lawyers to do the typical primal feces-flinging.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: