Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
The parts that are most problematic is in the kernel and open source. Rest, we have a line to TI to ask about things.
Thanks for the clarification!

But still possible put the 3d driver in mer , megoo, etc .. ?

Don't see why not, from the technical standpoint. The license on the other hand is quite problematic.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
A question for fanoush, stskeeps, and javispedro,. If there is no source code for the TI 3D driver, how are we to hack it any further? Does this mean that the current omapfb driver will change, and in what way? Excuse my ignorance.
The closed stuff is platform independent and hopefully relatively stable. TI/PowerVR have same code running on other omap2 based devices both with symbian and linux (hopefully).

The tricky part is understand what mbxaccess.ko and omaplcd.ko (main part that needs fixing IMO) is trying to do and adapt it to N810 specific video driver situation which is a bit complex and different from what current omaplcd.ko is expecting. and we have sources for that.

The first thing I would try it to remove everything that touches DISPC (OMAP builtin display controller) registers (vsync flipping code, power management code), IMO our omaplcd.ko implementation should be purely memory based = only giving proper framebuffer memory to rest of powervr code and not touching any hardware directly. It should also not allocate any extra memory if possible (this is what fails now), omapfb already has three allocated planes/buffers, the last one even has space for two 800x480 frames.

Then there should be hook how to schedule display update via current omapfb. Possibly from current omaplcd vsync code (which currently messes with DISPC registers when trying to switch visible buffer with back buffer).

Hopefully that's all for showing MBX output properly.

Then there is mbxaccess which gives access to 3D chip to user space PowerVR libraries. I'm not sure if this one needs to allocate some additional memory too (for textures?) or needs other fixing.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-02-23 at 12:26.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by teclah View Post
But still possible put the 3d driver in mer , megoo, etc .. ?
the kernel part is hopefully not a problem, we should import current code in our own place (garage project?) and work on that freely.

As for the rest, the TI download page is quite bad solution, Stskeeps, is there some plan to make it more public? (No TI registration, move it to maemo.org download like firmwares/other binary blobs)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Count me in, if nothing, at least for testing purposes.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
As for the rest, the TI download page is quite bad solution, Stskeeps, is there some plan to make it more public? (No TI registration, move it to maemo.org download like firmwares/other binary blobs)
I'm not sure, but let us see where this leads us. The important thing is that the drivers are finally here. For licensing issues we need someone of higher rank than me
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Still doesn't work on n810

Originally Posted by svs57 View Post
No, it doesn't

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Well, the GLES expert here is javispedro, I know next to none about omapfb or kernel issues, just did a couple of good guesses
And I just happen to be the "expert" because I roamed around at the right moment with the right book, so we clearly have a dream team here!

One of things I've guessed from the current driver is that in previous incarnations, the mbxdaemon was in kernel-space. My guess is that TI split the driver in two pieces: they made the mbxdaemon with the "cannot-ever-possibly-be-GPL" code, and released all the other parts in the mbxaccess kernel module (the previous, all in one driver was called simply `mbx.ko'). I just hope the performance out of this split is acceptable...

Also other than a mailing list I'd also ask putting the kernel module sources in a repo (they're GPLv2 after all).

Originally Posted by svs57 View Post
All my tests have been done on a N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: