Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Overview

Read Amazon Kindle books on your N9.

Erudite makes it possible to use Amazon's Cloud Reader service under MeeGo. You can either read books online, or download them for reading offline. Your progress in a book is kept synchronised between your N9 and other Kindle devices.

An Amazon account is required to make use of this application.

Screenshots & Video

Video of Erudite

Version 1.3
  • Fixes problem clicking hyperlinks within books (e.g. in the table of contents).
  • Makes it easier to clear the dictionary/notes pop-up.

Version 1.2
  • The application name has now changed to Erudite.
  • A number of buttons and menu entries have been made larger and easier to press.
  • You can now switch in to and out of fullscreen mode by pressing a toggle button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Version 1.1
  • The application can now start up completely offline. You still need to be online for the very first usage and to download books, but once you've downloaded some books you can now always access them offline.
  • A progress indicator shows when the application is loading.
  • Keyboard bug is fixed. Previously you needed to tap on text fields twice to bring up the virtual keyboard, now it pops up on the first tap.

Download

Available in the Ovi Store:
Meego - http://store.ovi.com/content/307241
Symbian - http://store.ovi.com/content/358486

Nemo mobile version: http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/elle...TF.armv7hl.rpm

Last edited by Elleo; 2013-08-26 at 21:51. Reason: Version 1.3 released

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Can you allow reading offline without having to go online first? I know the sync might be lost this way but maybe it can be cached and then synced when online... That would make it easier if you forget to open the application before take off...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Can you allow reading offline without having to go online first? I know the sync might be lost this way but maybe it can be cached and then synced when online... That would make it easier if you forget to open the application before take off...
This is actually already fixed in the next version, I just have a few more improvements to make before submitting it to the store .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Bought this App today, one question though, how do I get the Books stored in it? I have to buy them too?

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Firestarter...... This name keeps me reminding of that

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
+1 if there will be also a N900 version

The Following User Says Thank You to Crogge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Bought this App today, one question though, how do I get the Books stored in it? I have to buy them too?
Basically, you do have to buy them, but if you are interested in freebies, many books can be bought for $ 0.00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
As geneven mentioned there are a lot of free books as well as ones that you need to pay for. I'm not sure about on other Amazon sites, but on the UK site you can see a list of the top 100 most popular free books (along with the top 100 paid books) here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bestsellers-...QR09FT1NW68QF3

You can also click on the different categories on the left to see the top 100 in each genre too.

Last edited by Elleo; 2012-08-28 at 21:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
As geneven mentioned there are a lot of free books as well as ones that you need to pay for. I'm not sure about on other Amazon sites, but on the UK site you can see a list of the top 100 most popular free books (along with the top 100 paid books) here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bestsellers-...QR09FT1NW68QF3

You can also click on the different categories on the left to see the top 100 in each genre too.
Thanx for clearing up, but then on when U click eg Send Sample, it gives an option to either add to Amazon Cloud or Register Kindle Device, which they require 16 digit serial for device, where do I get that? When U choose Cloud and refresh the App nothing comes App, even though I have an Amazon Account.

Thanx for clearing up, but then on when U click eg Send Sample, it gives an option to either add to Amazon Cloud or Register Kindle Device, which they require 16 digit serial for device, where do I get that? When U choose Cloud and refresh the App nothing comes App, even though I have an Amazon Account.
Edit: It looks like Amazon's Cloud Reader might not actually support samples (I don't even get an option to send samples to it on the UK Amazon site). So I'd suggest testing with a free book instead.

The serial number is for if you're using a separate e-Ink Kindle device, if you don't have one then just sending to the cloud reader should be enough.

One person said that they needed to change their country settings to the US before their books appeared (although it should work in any country which Amazon support according to their website), I'm in the UK and haven't had any problems using my account normally.

If you want to try switching your Kindle country settings:
  1. Log in to the Amazon website
  2. Go to "Your Account"
  3. Click "Manage your Kindle"
  4. Then click "Country Settings" (bottom left of the menu)

Last edited by Elleo; 2012-08-28 at 21:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post: