From: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...kia_CMD_09.pdf
Via: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/03/n...er-experience/

If Nokia is going to continue to focus the majority of sales on Symbian, it seems like Maemo is pretty much just like a side-project. Why would someone choose Maemo then, when Symbian will have much better focus and support from Nokia? The idea of one company developing two OS's doesn't sit too well with me. Eventually, one will lose out (and it looks like Nokia will favor Symbian).

The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyrockets911 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Well, you just pick the device you think is best for you the moment you buy it...
Right now as far as functional but still open goes, the only real choice is Maemo...
we'll see how that evolves... I thought nokia was all about having 9999 niche market?

Also portability will not be as much of an issue with the QT compatibility in Maemo6.

EDIT: also looking at the entire pdf (just search maemo over and over) you'll see what they have in store...

Last edited by R-R; 2009-12-03 at 18:21.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It's worked well for Microsoft (WinMo, Windows, WinCE, embedded Windows) and Apple (OS X and Mobile OS X)... Nokia will be just fine.

symbians will gradually shift to midrange models..thanks to the ability to run on weaker processors. maemo will be for high end and like previously said @ a nokia n900 meetup by 2012 n series will be mainly maemo.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
it'll be just fine, and they seem to be pushing series 40 out of the picture

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
it'll be just fine, and they seem to be pushing series 40 out of the picture
I think S40 will substitute S30 and S30 will be pushed out eventually (just as S30 did to S20 in recent years).
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
didnt realize they still made 30 series phones

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
The Symbian OS sells a lot more phones & always do, unless Nokia pull their socks up with "Maemo". Only total nerds & tech-freaks will buy such a device & be satisfied with it. So the Symbian is a bigger market for them = more money = the point of a business.

2011. I assume this is assuming and taking into consideration that the N920 (Harmattan) is released by then.

To me, this type of comparison is another sign that we won't ever see another NIT. The N770,N800,N810 were to prototype the 'smart' in the smart-phone concept and how community development could be a cheap model. In the future Maemo will most likely only exist on smartphones with screensizes primarily designed to support the phone-side (read: smaller) over the tablet-side (read N810-size, 5 inches, 7 inches etc).

I really do wish Nokia good luck with this effort but it also means that I won't be looking at Nokia in the future for tablet products.

I would love something like my SmartQ7 with Nokia's build quality running Maemo (actually I'm using it right now typing this and a 7 inch tablet is indeed sweeet).

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
In page 76 the pdf says: Maemo 6, H2 2010... So, they're actually planning it.

The left side of page 164 shows that Nokia's revenue from smartphones is only a small part of its total revenue.

However, there is no single word about the delays and whether they intent to fix them.