Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Just like orgasm, you think you did it, GVM is faking it.

You hotsync, do your usual thing, so does GVM, even give you the message, "done". You check the data, nothing has changed. You do it a couple of times, it may get updated. This has happened to me ever since GVM is there, Diablo/chinook same. Has anybody experienced this, a fake hotsync?

Out of the blue, it has been hotsync doing fine for several month, today, it does not hotsync any more. Hotsync "connection failed..." I tried and tried and tried everything under the sun, I even installed and unstalled PalmOne desktop, NOTHING worked. The PC just lied there and played dead.

Goto Access>Troubleshooting>hotsync, http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/faq.html#05,
"Hit the Reformat storage button. Warning: all the data in GVM will be lost."
You must be kidding me, I got to loss ALL my installed apps? )(*)(*&%%$W#, I had no choice.....
Did it, and sure it worked, you hotsync, GVM gave you the update, and boy, that is the ONLY apps I had for GVM now! why is that? I had to Reformat the damn thing! And sure, it still doing the fake hotsync,....I had to sync it several times and checked the data to be sure it had been updated.

Well..........you got what you pay for, GVM!

Sorry, GVM, I was a little frustrated. Other than the hotsync and, oh yea, occasionally wipe out all your apps, I CANNOT find ANY fault with GVM. I still think it is good and i still recommend to have it.

Edit: see here for better experience :-) , http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...928#post293928, thread #62

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-06-05 at 06:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I stopped hotsyncing early on with my Palm T3, I prefer to do all work directly on the Palm PIM (the applications I used that needed 'sync' could do it by themselves, via networking, e.g. Avantgo, metro, worldmate). I used pilot-link for backups from a computer, but that's all. So I don't need to hotsync for my GVM usage pattern either, which is, I guess, the major reason I don't have much trouble with GVM.

Well, if you do not use hotsync, you probably do a manual sync, right? Or you simply dont sync. Well, I would very much want to learn how to do a manual sync if I know where the files are. I only need contacts and calender. Anybody know where are those db files on a winPC and where should one dump those db files to on your tablet? Sure, a manual sync would be much more reliable.

bun

I don't sync at all, I mean I don't try to keep a calendar or anything on the PC as well as on the PDA.. I keep my calendar and everything else on the PDA only, that's where I maintain the content. That's why I don't need to sync. Programs like avantgo, metro (or actually metroup) and worldmate, and kmeteo, they need to be updated against some internet site now and then. Traditionally that could by done through hotsync as well, with an application on the PC which did the actual update and the hotsync to transfer the data to the PDA. But with networking (I networked via BT mostly, although for a while I networked via a wi-fi card until it broke) the PDA can update those applications' data directly. That's most of the uses for hotsync..

As for transfering contacts and calendar data manually to GVM, that's not too difficult. Unfortunately I can't remember the path on the PC, but what you could do is first figure out the actual names.. they depend a bit on the version of PalmOS (e.g. pre-TX or post-T3, and pre-T3 too maybe). With FileZ you can find the .pdb files that matches the application, by looking at the application ID. Then do a search for those files on the PC, put them on a card and install them through GVM launcher.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I use contacts in a slightly different way.

Many years ago, when I was with winCE, their battery can die and one loses everything when battery goes flat. However, everytime you dock the winCE, it automatically (and very fast, not even a couple of minutes) sync with your desktop. So I sync the winCE with a desktop at work and a desktop at home. I had winCE died on me and either PCs died on me too, but so far, for 2 PC and a winCE die at the same time, has NOT happened yet for over 10+ years. I have NOT yet loss ANYTHING on my contact list, which I have maintained for over 10+ yrs. It is still my habbit to sync to 2 PCs almost on a daily basis. With the flashdrive comes to market, I dump the list to flashdrive every now and then.

What is in my contact list? Basically I add anything that I would not remember after a couple of days into my contact list. It has address, memo, password, route to visit old aunt in a strange place, working pearls, license questions, etc. So addresses is only 50% of the whole list, the other 50% is my life.

Today, I have 'my life' or contacts on my cellphone. I sync with GVM on a daily basis. and then sync with 3 tablets. Problems is they ALL fake, I have to check it after the sync. And that waste me time.

Oh the contacts on the tablet sucks. They are very limited and rigid and problematics. I have since given up on them and use GVM instead.

bun

I totally agree about the contacts on the tablet.. useless. The Palm one is great. My Palm was in the habit of whitescreening now and then (that one needs a hard reset to get out of, i.e. everything lost). I would occasionally (a couple of times a year) make a full backup of everything via pilot-link (hotsync low-level tools for Linux) to my laptop, mostly because it's nice to have full access to individual files in case I would want to transfer one of them back to the Palm. But my real backup was done with a backup program on the Palm, it would back up everything to the SD card. If I could just have managed to register the backup program (the site was impossible to use) I would have used the full-version feature of letting it do automatic backups at midnight, as it was I did it manually - it was very fast, because it only backed up what was changed.

With that regime I never lost anything. And since I stopped trying to use my Palm T3 as an internet device (after I got my N800) it stopped crashing too, but I still do the occasional backup. And I send my contacts over to the N800 via BT now and then, and sometimes I edit and send them back. If I send per-category then the file will come over as categoryname.vcf on the N800, very convenient.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Gaurantee PIM hotsyn worked every single time, at least halfway, from winPC to gvm:

Hotsync manager 7.0.2 > Applications>Configuration...>address/datebook (all the PIM stuff)>Desktop overwrite handheld>Done

This works everytime for PC PIM data transferred to gvm on tablet. I know, this is one way street, still better than NO sync. It works with MS Outlook sync conduit.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Try to sync with a smaller storage heap?

Would changing heap wipe out everything?
Or, you mean try it once and then stick with the same heap ... I will give it a shot
bun

Tags
garnet, gvm, hotsync, palm