Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've just been discussing with Ovi regarding N900 Apps, here are a few excerpts you may be interested in.

My emphasis in bold.

We will also need you to apply for premium publisher because regular publisher can only submit java, symbian, widget, flash application. For premium publisher application, you need to provide prove for the declaration page of General Liability Insurance of your company.
We’ve created two account types for media content distribution on Ovi Store:

Media Genre Account is intended for 1st party publishers who own their content and all its inherent rights for distribution, or have acquired exclusive license to distribute content. This category describes a publisher with genre, segment or niche content. Media Genre Accounts have a limit of 20 content items (paid and/or free) discoverable in Ovi Store at any given time.

Media Geo Account is intended for 3rd Party publishers who have geographic rights to content which may or may not be exclusive, and is more generic by nature, such as popular ringtones. Content in this type of account is limited by geographic region. The Ovi Store content team will select a limited number of Media Geo Accounts in each geographic region to ensure content discoverability.

The goal of creating these accounts is to enable us to provide optimum placement of your content in Ovi Store, while ensuring maximum relevance for consumers.

In addition to selecting the account type for your content, you must agree to adhere to the guidelines below in order to be considered for inclusion in the media content plan:

Your company has sufficient general liability insurance to cover a minimum of $1 M USD in claims.
You agree to pay all appropriate & relevant performing rights societies’ royalties as may be required by law or business custom from the sale of the content on Ovi Store.
You must agree to adhere to content amount limitations and/or geographic limitations.
Unfortunately, only the approved premium publisher can publish for N900 at this moment and the approval for premium publisher will take a long time based on the fact that the queue for application is quite huge now. We welcome you to apply for the normal publisher status once you have all the information we want to distribute applications other than N900.
So it turns out that even though I went out and spent $400 incorporating (iolite technologies corporation llc, hooray), I now need a million dollars of general liability insurance before I can even think about publishing for the N900.

This applies to all N900 app developers. I can't imagine that a million dollars of general liability insurance is cheap.

Not even joking. wtf.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I've just been discussing with Ovi regarding N900 Apps, here are a few excerpts you may be interested in.

My emphasis in bold.

So it turns out that even though I went out and spent $400 incorporating (iolite technologies corporation llc, hooray), I now need a million dollars of general liability insurance before I can even think about publishing for the N900.

This applies to all N900 app developers. I can't imagine that a million dollars of general liability insurance is cheap.

Not even joking. wtf.
I guess they really don´t want software for Maemo on Ovi.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Why is Ovi limiting content based on geographic locations? What kind of crap is that in the 21st century? The Internet does not have any limits plz. Don't set back the clock plz. Everybody knows the crappy stories of users not being able to download this or that very cool US, EU, or Asian app because they're not in right location.. And come on there are no real countries, countries are a fiction built by fictional barries by the people with power. There's no natural country barrier, it's all made up.

Last edited by Holyshit; 2009-11-19 at 23:26.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Holyshit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Ummm. The US-$ 1 Mio. seems to apply for media content (music, movies, etc.) only, not for applications afaics. Same goes for the regional stuff: This also seems to apply for media content.

The java clause is stupid, as the N900 has no java. I'd reask.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I have to think... I *have* to think... that this is just a case of something being out of date or something...

This... this cannot be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
There is always the option of publishing the stuff as open source via maemo-extras....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Nokia needs to change this now. This road leads to nowhere.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
I always wonder why Nokia shoots itself in the foot when they take a good step forward
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK

My emphasis in bold.

Not even joking. wtf.
I can see why you are getting hacked off with this but alos why Nokia are asking for corporate liability insurance. If they sell an app through the OVI store and it turns out you don't have all the rights you have asserted then they are in the chain of liabilty should someone choose to sue.

I found 1 Million Sterling insurance was quite cheap and covers other things if you are a software development company. I can recommend a UK broker but not sure if they would write business for a US incorporated body.

Best of luck!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
It's pretty obvious Nokia hasn't thought this through much beyond "Hey let's take the same hardware as that iPhone 3Gs thingy and put Maemo on there".

Tags
one billion dollars!