Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...alyst-advises/

I wonder if Nokia feels any pressure from this kind of "analysis"

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New Zealand
Any "analyst" who thinks Nokia should buy Palm is more worthy of getting the axe than Maemo is.

Why would any sane company spend hundreds of millions of dollars buying a company when their own product is at least as good as the one they're buying?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carl Ed For This Useful Post:
I thought that these guys were meant to have 'vision' - he clearly does not have a clue about Nokia's market outside of the US or of whatthey are trying to achieve.
He wants them to give Palm shed-loads of money to 'buy' them, hand over control to the people running Palm and then drop most of their phone models.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ouch. Can't say I agree with this "insider" one bit.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
lol
the financial analysts did such a good job recently
so what he says must be right

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
So why did this guy do the analysis? If it would have been requested by nokia, it would probably have been kept semi-secret, in any case not an open letter.
Was he just bored at home and figured he might as well start advising tech giants?
Maybe i'm just a conspiracy nut, but i think palm wanted a quick way to boost share prices (maybe some hot-shot is selling). And how better to do it than both slam a competitor and say they should buy you for fat stacks of cash?
Edit: is that jon rubinstein character selling shares? Because that would pretty much explain everything: tell off nokia, advertise yourself, artificially (and illegally) increase your share price and decrease the competition's

Last edited by MrGrim; 2009-12-06 at 11:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Or maybe hi is stuck with Palm shares...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
Before I start...I have owned an Iphone (sold it 4 days ago), and just ordered the N900. I don't have it yet, but watch youtube videos about it all day - haha...

I would say, yes. They have to be feeling some pressure. Let's face it...they have the worst OS (Symbian) experience of the top 3 smart phone OSes right now (Apple, Android, and Palm). They openly admitted that in their "way ahead" speech the other day. They also accepted the fact that they have too many devices.

Most people are dumb/lazy, cheap, and don't care if their phone is "open". They need easy. Apple, Android and Palm are easy to use. Plain and simple.

This is my first Nokia device with the exception of the old-school ones back in the day (pre-smart phone(ish) type stuff). I am looking forward to it. I didn't like the restrictions apple places on the phone; however, i am not the majority. And if you're publicly traded, you have to sell units, innovate, and appeal to the masses. If you don't, you fail.

In either case, I like toying around with things. I am looking forward to getting my N900 in the mail and sharing the Maemo experience with all the good people in the forums. I don't code, but getting this N900 has started making me think about getting into some Python. It's about time.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Wolverhampton
Only second to the iphone he says..

I see he owns one then.

Here is my money, take it, and come over to rule my family. Sound like a good strategy for Nokia to follow.