Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
So, turns out I never even knew about thus bug. When an iPhone /lumia user sends us a text containing an emoji, our N9's **** bricks.

Which is not acceptable from my work phone, Iunderstand I'll have to change devices, but for the time being I've taken to monitoring syslog to see if Ireceive anything.

For me, the error message looks like:
Code:
Aug 14 14:58:56 (2014) cellular: csd[564]: SMS-lib .295745> utils_tpdu_data_parse(): Error decoding TPDUs. Discarding message
Simply searching syslog for "tpdu" works well to tell me when someone's done this, but is there any way to determine WHO sent that message?
Haha, right now I'm almost wishing Ididn't know about the bug, because now I have no idea of the 10+ iPhone contacts I've got, who sent it ATM.

Any help will be muchly appreciated!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
So, turns out I never even knew about thus bug. When an iPhone /lumia user sends us a text containing an emoji, our N9's **** bricks.

Which is not acceptable from my work phone, Iunderstand I'll have to change devices, but for the time being I've taken to monitoring syslog to see if Ireceive anything.

For me, the error message looks like:
Code:
Aug 14 14:58:56 (2014) cellular: csd[564]: SMS-lib .295745> utils_tpdu_data_parse(): Error decoding TPDUs. Discarding message
Simply searching syslog for "tpdu" works well to tell me when someone's done this, but is there any way to determine WHO sent that message?
Haha, right now I'm almost wishing Ididn't know about the bug, because now I have no idea of the 10+ iPhone contacts I've got, who sent it ATM.

Any help will be muchly appreciated!
The bug has been known for a while (try 'TPDUs' in Power Search of the forum...)
Unfortunately the broken library is closed source and the device is no longer under maintanance updates.
Actually it was discovered when updates still existed, however Nokia never bothered to correct it even as I named it a fatal flaw...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
There was hope that we might have a "fix" of sorts, but that did not pan out...

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
"tpdu" + talk returns with this thread!

I understand there is no fix for this bug, but I was hoping there may be a way to retrieve who sent the message that failed?

All I need to know is who sent me the emoji text

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
I'd suggest to ask your mobile provider, provided that you know when it happend.
Regards.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
"tpdu" + talk returns with this thread!

I understand there is no fix for this bug, but I was hoping there may be a way to retrieve who sent the message that failed?

All I need to know is who sent me the emoji text
well, discussed in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1432229 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86704&page=9 at least.

Unfortunately as it is, it is pretty impossible to find information about the message in this bug case.

Why I think it is fatal:
  • 1. the device will send acknowledge to the RAN -> the sender of the message gets confirmation that the message has been delivered
  • 2. the device sliently discards the message, so that the recipient never even suspects of having a message
  • 3. the sender trusts that the receiver has seen the message...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
It makes you wonder what MFaroTusino thought he could do about it. Maybe he had the right idea, but was unable to execute? Maybe he realized that nothing could be done so he just gave up?
I would love to hear from him about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ New York
Has there been any solution to this yet?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hmm...

maybe?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
emoji, iphone, lumia, syslog