Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
jakiman - you're posts and tests are fantastic. Keep them coming.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So where are these Mango smartphones with qwerty's? (not that I personally care about qwerty's)
What are you ranting on about anyway? I can understand US/UK folks doing so.
But it's in your country now, so why not try it out before claiming it's a "steaming pile".
Why so serious? I do have a 64GB N9 ordered. I claim nothing about the N9, can I joke about it please? If not, sorry to litter the thread.

You don't see that was just making a joke of Elops counter action to N9 positive press acclaim with the "leaked video" (no more phone with this OS even if success, ok you can find N9 cool but be assured the WP7 is going to be the latest and greatest soon and the N9 features will live on)

Marrat's colleagues apparently liked the N9 too much so I felt I had to help Elop countering this dangerous tendency and help him based on real world marketing propaganda to save his maximum bonus on "mission accomplished".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm finding it hard to understand what you're saying in some of your sentences.
I didn't realise it was a joke, must be a cultural thing.
If that's all you were tying to do, then my apologies.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-11 at 11:25.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Droid Bionic's Pentile, interesting read, slightly different to N9's Pentile
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4910/m...-with-4g-lte/5
N9 is brighter than the SGSII, but it sounds like this might be as bright or brighter.
And 256PPI, thought it'd be a bit higher than that (N9's is 251).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid_Bionic

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-11 at 11:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I'm finding it hard to understand what you're saying in some of your sentences.
I didn't realise it was a joke, must be a cultural thing.
If that's all you were tying to do, then my apologies.
yes sorry sarcasm is not funny indeed, some incl myself misunderstand Elop - Canadian corporate cultural thing

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Originally Posted by Audrius View Post
I'm hoping the postman will come before 11am , because then i have to leave

Edit: just arrived !!!!
mine hasnt! wonder why! now I'm worried!!

did it come in normal post route or via a parcel delivery? did you sign for it? was this before 11? or did you go back.

I live 5 minutes from work so went home to see if there was a card!! oh well i guess tomorrow...

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
Qt Quick for the masses?

An interesting article aboud KDE's Plasma Active (with Plasma Quick, based on Qt Quick) aiming at Android, iOS and potentially Tizen:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...d-tablets/9717

(Sorry if OT or already posted. I thought it could be of interest to some here...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xalted13 View Post
I fear for our future and open-source phones. The way its going now no company will make anything even remotely open to n900 or n9.
The N9 running Meego-Harmatten is not open. It's only open running MER/Meego-CE/whatever.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHughes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
LOL I dunno mate, I prefer to take a "wait & see" approach.
I don't think you can say with any authority what "will" happen.
Again, I didn't say anything "will" or "will not" happen--but the fact that even the question about whether it will or not because of the lack of support for something that you would expect to be an easy port questions the value of the platform and any future development as well. So far, the trend hasn't been particularly advantageous for a commercial developer on Maemo and it's been a severely negative mishandling.

No that's not what you said...
I was addressing backwards compatibility.
I was just pointing to some examples.
I'm not saying "it's all dandy"...
But you suggested it was non-existent.
Who knows better what I said? I pointed out that there's a problem with the whole idea of basing this on parts of Maemo and MeeGo if you can't even easily port from Maemo 5. You said "SOME" can easily port--and I pointed out that it's not EASILY PORTED if only "SOME" can easily port instead of generally MOST. That's not the same as non-existent and my words were chosen correctly.

Thanks for that!
You're welcome, I guess? I'm still not seeing any answers to the questions I'd asked. Has anybody seen any particular reason why these N9 screens have a bad pentile AMOLED other than the throw-up-your-hands and wave them, "OH LAWDY PENTILE AMOLED IS THE DEVIL" scary dance? As I said, I know that the Android camp's Bionic looks beautiful EXCEPT for these weird pentile display problems that are noticeable but I've not heard of any complaints on the N9's display so far. Can anybody report back on any of that?

Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
The N9 running Meego-Harmatten is not open. It's only open running MER/Meego-CE/whatever.
Thus confirming that his fears are already realized and he's pointed them out far too late. Mind you, many of us have already been pointing this out for quite some time.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-10-11 at 13:10.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
So apparently it is not possible to add anything to status menu in Harmattan: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4117

And I assume that status menu bar is also locked.

This is so totally ******ed design choice that I can't find any justification for this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????