Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Well, Pure Maps gave me a good chuckle on the road:

https://owncloud.randysimons.nl/inde...G8dMT/download

While not really relevant in car only capable of 160km/h (Yes, I tested that there are well) I guess it still is a bug

[edit] the bug of course is that the speed limit there is not 255km/h, but 1079251985km/h. 3 more bytes needed to encode the speed limit!

Sorry, I'll see myself out now.
I wonder if Valhalla's import makes an educated guess and reduces the speed of light a bit. Not that its something round in mph either - 158.45 .

But there is an option to show the speed limit only if you exceed it, btw

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany

I am okay with this as general speed limit!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I wonder if Valhalla's import makes an educated guess and reduces the speed of light a bit. Not that its something round in mph either - 158.45 .

But there is an option to show the speed limit only if you exceed it, btw
I guess Valhalla is limited to a byte, hence 255. Still, if I look at the road features OSM, it correctly lists the "maxpeed" as "none". But perhaps "none" is encoded as MAX_BYTE (==255) in the actual data. So I don't know what the origin of this "bug" is.

[edit] Still this might be better that no indication at all, which could also mean "max speed: not specified / unknown".

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2020-05-31 at 21:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
There was a bug about maxspeed=none in Valhalla, and is fixed there. But, as expected, this is encoded as uint8_t / 255 in the data.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
the bug of course is that the speed limit there is not 255km/h, but 1079251985km/h.
Are you sure it's not 4294967295 km/h?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I suspect that on all current roads in the world, we can assume that the speed limit is not actually 255 km/h, and can treat that as "none".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Are you sure it's not 4294967295 km/h?
Pretty sure, as to keep that value we need four bytes. But not necessarily all bits set.

But even if do we think it matters? Will we even notice travelling the longest possible route on earth?
The time used would be 33ms compared to 8ms.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
There was a bug about maxspeed=none in Valhalla, and is fixed there. But, as expected, this is encoded as uint8_t / 255 in the data.
The version that we use is a bit older, haven't updated it yet. Recently had issues with newer Valhalla versions and I am bit cautious with touching it. However, will have to do it at some point.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
The version that we use is a bit older, haven't updated it yet. Recently had issues with newer Valhalla versions and I am bit cautious with touching it. However, will have to do it at some point.
It looks the patch is (also) in Mjolnir, thus on the import-side of things. Could it be you've used a more recent version of Vahalla, including this patch, to import and convert the data from OSM?

I guess it doesn't matter, and it's now clear that "255" means "maxspeed: none". This sign, appropriately the German sign, seems like a good indication in such cases.

Come to think of it, is there anywhere else in the world, except for the Autobahn, where there's no speed limit?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
It looks the patch is (also) in Mjolnir, thus on the import-side of things. Could it be you've used a more recent version of Vahalla, including this patch, to import and convert the data from OSM?

I guess it doesn't matter, and it's now clear that "255" means "maxspeed: none". This sign, appropriately the German sign, seems like a good indication in such cases.

Come to think of it, is there anywhere else in the world, except for the Autobahn, where there's no speed limit?
That sign is used for "Limits as by default", including overtaking limits and such. As we don't have overtaking info processed (available?), I am not going to set it. So, you are stuck for now with 255 . Alternative would be to show speed limit only if you are let's say approaching it with the delta of 100km/h?

I did import data with newer Valhalla as it was otherwise failing to compile even.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: