Notices

Hi,

I started this new thread because I did not found a specific URPO one, so mods, move it if needed.

I've been testing this app and must say that it can be very useful. I like the idea of being able to print on any cups system connected printers as I work in full *nix environment.
By the way (sorry for that!) I dislike a lot this setting that required an ssh key file, and that need to be upload on each and every computer you want to print through. This is a boring process!
Wouldn’t it be easier to simply ask the password like any xterm ssh connection? or at least the ability to choose in the setting between a key file and a password request?
Another thing is that if you are already connected to the named computer with an ssh connection, why URPO can't detect it? Why does it still ask you to connect when you are already? Couldn't it start, detect that you are already connected, and use this established connection, or ask if you want to use it.
Anyway, thanks to the devs for this beautiful idea that can become a great app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deed For This Useful Post:
@deed: I dont think ssh sessions can be shared.
I use rsa keys with passwords, and would LOVE to have a question popup asking the password for the key. Could also be implemented to ask password if you do not use a key (you should).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exuvo For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your commments deed!

Originally Posted by deed View Post
Wouldn’t it be easier to simply ask the password like any xterm ssh connection? or at least the ability to choose in the setting between a key file and a password request?
OpenSSH on Maemo5 does not support asking password in graphical enviroment (ssh-askpass does not seem to exist for N900). In terminal it works...

In addition, for security reasons openssh-client doesn't allow sending the password as a command line parameter/enviroment variable etc. so the program can't tell it to ssh.

But, in fact there is an undocumented way you can use URPO with password :
1. start it from xterm
2. leave the sshkeyfile empty in settings
3. Press connect
4. Switch to xterm and give the password (you have 15 seconds before the timeout

(Longer timeout when sshkeyfile is empty is now added to todo list, and will hopefully appear in the next release, whenever that comes out...)

As for your other request, I think exuvo is right: there probably is no way to capture an existing SSH connection.

Thanks to you two for those valuable information.
In fact, the undocumented way to use URPO presented by helihyv did the trick and that is great, exactly what I wanted!
I didn't knew for "Maemo5 does not support asking password in graphical environment" and so let's go with the xterm way...
@exuvo: You're right, I should use a key, and in fact I do it for security matter in certain circumstances, but thinking about printing (not so often) from the N900, to a (random) machine with cups and a printer attached, I find it easier (quicker) with the askpass method.
Thanks to devs for this now much more useful tool, My vote for competition will go for it ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
"missä olet ollut?!?!"

"urpolla"

"et ole ollut, urpon vaimo synnyttää!!"

mieti, mieti!
thanks for this flashback
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by helihyv View Post
In addition, for security reasons openssh-client doesn't allow sending the password as a command line parameter/enviroment variable etc. so the program can't tell it to ssh.
Let me start with thanking you for URPO - very useful project. It would also be very useful to be able to print to Windows printer - are you considering that option?

The workaround you provided is agreeable but I would like to share a hack that will allow you to overcome ssh "limitations" (read security features). The trick is to use "empty" command. Sources and examples showing how to use it within scripts can be found at empty project homepage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Thank you. I'm not a unix/linux user. Could you show one example of how to print a file using URPO/terminal/empty?

Ivan

Last edited by ivanpiro; 2010-07-29 at 13:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivanpiro For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all comments. Nice to hear that there is need for a program llike URPO.

(1) Password authentication. I will try some tricks to allow password authentication in next release. It is not the right way, it is unsecure etc.. but can be useful in many situations.

(2) Windows printing. URPO just needs CUPS and Linux (*nix ...) computer!

URPO works in very simple way: first copy file to Linux remote computer, then use CUPS printing command in remote computer to print it (and delete this temporary file). Printing to Windows host needs samba protocol client and driver information...

I guess email printing in some new printers / web-based printing will be a useful solution in some day. CUPS may be a too heavy printing solution to be ported into N900.

[By the way, it is possible to use a printer connected to Windows computer, if you have a Linux computer, too, and set up your CUPS to use Windows printer through SAMBA ]

Arto, main developer of URPO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artohyv For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by artohyv View Post
Thanks for all comments. Nice to hear that there is need for a program llike URPO.

(1) Password authentication. I will try some tricks to allow password authentication in next release. It is not the right way, it is unsecure etc.. but can be useful in many situations.

(2) Windows printing. URPO just needs CUPS and Linux (*nix ...) computer!

URPO works in very simple way: first copy file to Linux remote computer, then use CUPS printing command in remote computer to print it (and delete this temporary file). Printing to Windows host needs samba protocol client and driver information...

I guess email printing in some new printers / web-based printing will be a useful solution in some day. CUPS may be a too heavy printing solution to be ported into N900.

[By the way, it is possible to use a printer connected to Windows computer, if you have a Linux computer, too, and set up your CUPS to use Windows printer through SAMBA ]

Arto, main developer of URPO
Thanks for this info. However, I'm just wondering, that would there be a way to support even OS X? As far as I can tell, the CUPS is not available on it and thus I can't really use URPO. I'd rather not install Linux, since it seems to be quite unnecessary to me, I don't need printing from my phone that much.

EDIT: *Cough*
CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for Mac OS® X and other UNIX®-like operating systems.
Anyways, I'm having some trouble in here now. I can't send the damned RSA via SSH, haven't tried though Bluetooth yet. I do manage to make the connection but every time I do it, the X-Term only prints
Code:
/Users/NICK/.ssh/authorized_keys/: Is a directory
and I fail to receive the file.

Last edited by rantom; 2010-08-10 at 14:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rantom View Post

Anyways, I'm having some trouble in here now. I can't send the damned RSA via SSH, haven't tried though Bluetooth yet. I do manage to make the connection but every time I do it, the X-Term only prints
Code:
/Users/NICK/.ssh/authorized_keys/: Is a directory
and I fail to receive the file.
I don't have an OS X at hand, so I'll have to guess... If your authorized_keys really is a directory my guess is you should place the file inside it.

Like this:
cat ~/.ssh/id_urpo | ssh user@computer 'cat >> ~./ssh/authorized_keys/id_urpo'