Downloaded new Garnet and running! Yay!

But this little tweak is a good idea, and should be bumped to the top!

Darren

Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
Woo hoo, I'm the man! ;-)

I was able to create a "zone information file" for a dummy time zone, GVM, which is 100 days behind GMT. If you install that on your N900, you can launch GVM with a date 100 days in the past, without having to reset your clock.

Download this file and place it on your phone under the name /usr/share/zoneinfo/GVM. (You'll have to do that as root, since /usr/share/zoneinfo is a system directory.)

Now you can launch GVM from the terminal using the following command line:
Code:
TZ=GVM launchgvm
and you'll find that Garnet thinks it's late August. Hopefully, some time in the next 100 days they'll get around to releasing an updated beta and then the hack won't be needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to dazzakoh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
Thanks - I checked yesterday but it was the same as before, but today- YES new version!
Release Notes

What's new in Garnet VM Beta 7
Release Date: November 30, 2010
Release Version: 1.0.6b

Fixed Issues: Removed Expiration Date
But the only FIX that they come up is the expiration date issue?!

I'm going to install it now and check if Virtual SD hack is still working!

Beta 6 was generally stable I have only one issue with it:
When may CPU is heavily loaded with other tasks sometimes GVM crashes, and if that time happened to be DURING starting of GVM, my gvm.store gets deleted and GVM overwrites it with blank one, so I loose all my program settings and so on! but still SLOT 1 is there ( virtual card driver) so I can access the things stored on the card.

Found quick fix - just recover backup archive made before crash with some of the available backup programs for PALM, and not resetting the GVM but close it, reopen it and everything is there!

HostFS aka Virtual Card driver is STILL working!
Just installed the newest version over the old one!

Greetings

Last edited by mveplus; 2010-12-01 at 04:08. Reason: Good news!

The Following User Says Thank You to mveplus For This Useful Post:
Just installed it. For me it works exactly as it did before, and no expiration date. I love it on my Nokia n800.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nitesky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Works fine on my N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Wonderful! It works as before. The only problem I have is that after every few uses it refuses to start. It says that it failed to refresh the list of applications. However, after restarting the device it goes back to normal. I have not yet had that with this new version, but in view of the comments above I suspect it will be the same. I did reported to Access on their feedback page.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SoCal, USA
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Wonderful! It works as before. The only problem I have is that after every few uses it refuses to start. It says that it failed to refresh the list of applications. However, after restarting the device it goes back to normal. I have not yet had that with this new version, but in view of the comments above I suspect it will be the same. I did reported to Access on their feedback page.
That happens to me too, but I don't have to restart the device. I just go into X Terminal, type in 'ps | grep gvm', get the gvm process ID, then 'kill -9 [process id]'. I can restart GarnetVM as usual after the process is gone. When I do this, usually the work I did in the previous session is lost.

Hope this helps.

miked1541

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miked1541 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by miked1541 View Post
That happens to me too, but I don't have to restart the device. I just go into X Terminal, type in 'ps | grep gvm', get the gvm process ID, then 'kill -9 [process id]'. I can restart GarnetVM as usual after the process is gone. When I do this, usually the work I did in the previous session is lost.

Hope this helps.

miked1541
Thanks for that tip. And, yes, I loose the previous session work as well when restarting the device.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Which probably means, this is the End of the Line for Garnet VM. What we have now, is it. No further developments....

[QUOTE=mveplus;886639]Thanks - I checked yesterday but it was the same as before, but today- YES new version!

But the only FIX that they come up is the expiration date issue?!