Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by titan View Post
v39 merely adds a kernel-power-bootimg package which could be useful for multiboot.
users should just stick with v37
...I think nobody can stick on v37 when there is a v39 available; we are just curious nerds

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
@titan

but we can update to v39 even if we dont wish to dual boot right?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I'm not from around here but could you switch to human versioning, e.g. 37u, 38d, 39d, with d being developer only builds so we can conveniently ignore d builds?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Thats why he have 3 repositories. Use the extras repo if you are not a developer or just curious!

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
@ndi: v39 is only in extras-devel (unstable software). just disable the catalouge and you'll only see v37 from extras (stable).
@gabby131: yes

@maartenmk: now it's the fcam developers' job to build updated modules for the kernel.
Their drivers are independent and everything for building them is now provided by the repository.
I don't want to release a new kernel everytime they update their code.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
[...]

@maartenmk: now it's the fcam developers' job to build updated modules for the kernel.
Their drivers are independent and everything for building them is now provided by the repository.
Agreed. And I believe they said they would, so it should be a temporary problem. It just seemed to be not too much work to compile the -2 drivers, as a temporary solution. (but I don't know how much work it actually is, I'd try myself if I knew how).

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Someone will find a way to bypass that also. (or be implemented within the jailbreak)
Probably, but I would hate to be inbetween those times when Apple and the Jailbreakers are fighting the update game. Granted I think most jailbreakers wait until the jailbreak time handles the new Apple updates. But it only takes one potential "phone call" home to Apple to deem your device jailbreaked. And once is all it takes to invalidate your warranty (even if it's not a software issue).

But again this is all speculation, Apple hasn't shown their hand yet (besides refusing service if you tell them your device is jailbroken).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I haven't installed any of the fcam related software into my N900. Are the current versions compatible with the v37 kernel that I could just download fcam from app manager and not experience any problems?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by maemoiv View Post
I haven't installed any of the fcam related software into my N900. Are the current versions compatible with the v37 kernel that I could just download fcam from app manager and not experience any problems?
No, see post #108 of this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
@ndi: v39 is only in extras-devel (unstable software). just disable the catalouge and you'll only see v37 from extras (stable).
@gabby131: yes

We're having a little trouble doing this. It seems like built versions of the kernel scripts that are present in kernel-headers (genksyms, modpost, etc) aren't present in kernel-power-headers. Am I missing something? I added a bug to the kernel-power-headers bug tracker in case this was just an oversight.

This is what I do in scratchbox to compile fcam-drivers against the stock kernel:

Code:
apt-get source fcam-drivers
apt-get install kernel-headers
cd fcam-drivers_1.0.5-2
make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/kernel-headers
a bunch of .ko files are produced.

This is what I did in scratchbox to try and compile our fcam-drivers against the enhanced kernel headers

Code:
apt-get source fcam-drivers
apt-get install kernel-power-headers
cd fcam-drivers_1.0.5-2
make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/kernel-power-headers
.. I get an error message about scripts/genksyms/genksyms being absent.

If I try to build the scripts like so:

Code:
make -C /usr/src/kernel-power-headers scripts
I get errors about missing include files. Looks like path issues trying to build the scripts from the headers package. Let me know if I'm doing something silly.

Edit: This is with v39. I have extras-devel and extras-testing enabled in scratchbox.

- Andrew (one of the fcam devs)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abadams For This Useful Post:

Tags
dumbypants