Active Topics

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
OSEmuTech, which version of microsoft office runs well on this emulator?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
You'd probably want to look for Word 5.1. While Word 6.0 will also run, it's probably one of the most hated Mac apps ever. If I recall correctly, Microsoft ended up giving purchasers free downgrades to 5.1.

One other question (osemutech will know):
the pointer arrow on the emulator is... "sticky". When I get some desktop item, the pointer won't leave it when raising my pen from the tablet screen, as if a mac mouse key were still pressed. It's very disturbing.
How do you solve this?

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
That's not good, it's a 256 k image, while a 512 to 1 meg rom image is needed.
Sorry about that. It does work with mini vMac, another Mac emulator for older Macs I guess.

I don't think mini vMac is available for the Tablets, although various folks seem to have got it going privately.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
One other question (osemutech will know):
the pointer arrow on the emulator is... "sticky". When I get some desktop item, the pointer won't leave it when raising my pen from the tablet screen, as if a mac mouse key were still pressed. It's very disturbing.
How do you solve this?
Yeah, that is an irritating effect that both Basilisk II and DOSBox (running Windows) has. I solve it under Basilisk II by clicking on a blank spot in the menu bar once or twice which releases the mouse. Under DOSBox, I choose an Alt-key and choose a menu item (like Alt-F for File), though there was a F-key (CTRL-F10?) that's supposed to do it too (I just got my iGo keyboard and haven't tried running Windows on my NIT lately.)

It's something else a real developer might be able to fix.

I bought Office 4.21 for Mac (Word 6.01, Excel 5, PowerPoint 4 I think) on eBay a number of years ago. It works great IMO.

I am familiar with many of the last versions of 68k-compatible software if anyone has any questions.

The next versions of Office for Mac (Office 98, 2001) can run on some ports of the SheepShaver Mac PPC emulator (runs up to Mac OS 9.04). I kept getting a error during the make phase which I haven't been able to fix.

I did get the G3\G4 Mac OS X emulator called PearPC built and it runs on Maemo, but I gave up after 20 minutes or so waiting for it to boot Mac OS X Leopard. The emulator can be pretty slow on Windows\Linux system as it is.

Very cool, one question. How do I run the Scratchbox build of Basilisk? The untarred file has permissions of read and write but not execute. I tried sudo chmod but that won't change it to an executeable. I tried installing it via the Application Manager but doesn't appear to be that type of file. I have my 7.5.5 disk image, ROM image file, and Basilisk II preference file already to go. I just can't figure out how to run Basilisk

Appreciate any and all help. Itching to Install Wordperfect 3.5e and see how that works. For anybody who would like to try this free and very functional wordprocessor go here:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

Why sudo? Just take the BasiliskII file from the tgz archive, put it i.e. in /home/user and do
chmod 755 BasiliskII
then run with
./BasiliskII

and here you go

I have found only one place on the 'net where I could possibly *buy* an old copy of office 4.2.1 for mac.
Unfortunately, the email address is encrypted by a silly javascript which refuses to work in all the browsers I tried (microb, firefox, konqueror). Maybe it works in internet explorer and somebody can look at the following page and let me know the mail address?

http://www.dans20thcenturyabandonware.com/contact.html

Ah, and I admit I searched also in p2p and ehr... sites, but with no joy

Dans20thcenturyabandonware never had the programs available for download. But it was an awesome site to checkout info and screenshots of older software.

BTW: I provided a link to many auctions for Office 4.2x for Mac in post #16: eBay