I'm going on a trip next week and need to get email on the go. Has to be through Verizon (which work pays for). I was in a similar situation about a year ago and ended up getting a Droid2. The thing was so buggy (regularly rebooting in the middle of calls) that I returned it after a week and managed to make do with my N800 and wifi hotspots. Unfortunately that isn't an option this time, as the IT guys did some upgrades to our Exchange server and haven't been able to get outgoing email to work from the N800 since.

So I need a new device. On the OS side I'm not impressed with any of the OSes I've had regular experience with (iOS, Android, Blackberry). I haven't used WP7, but from what I've read it seems like I'd have many of the same problems with it as I do with the others. I've heard good things about WebOS, but the only hardware available for Verizon is the Pre2, which is pretty old now, and has a much smaller screen than I'd like.

Hardware wise I'd like something that has:
4"+ screen size
Expandable memory
Removable battery
Easily rootable and/or free of bloatware
Ideally a stylus a la the Note (but I don't think Verizon has anything like this atm)

Don't think anything really fits the bill very well, but suggestions on what might get me the closest?

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Nokia N900

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Droid Razr or Droid Razr Maxx, both are very droid ish without as many hiccups.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
supposedly the galaxy note is coming to verizon as the galaxy journal, sounds like it would be perfect for you but probably won't be there by next week.

I would say the Maxx.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Hadn't heard the rumors of the Note/Journal coming to Verizon. Hardware wise that is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Might have to see if I can work something else out for this upcoming trip and wait for that.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Both the Droid 4 and the Samsung Stratosphere have 4" screens and HWKB. On paper the Droid 4 has better specs. Another consideration is whether they will be upgraded to ICS. I am not sure about Dorid 4 and Stratosphere but I've heard that the Razr will be. Might want to also consider Galaxy Nexus.
A verizon phone free of bloatware... That's an interesting concept!

Well Verizon sucks for having CDMA network, you cannot import the phone you want....you are stuck with whatever they have on offer.

Since you said email, your real options are a qwerty phone or a large touchscreen one. So if they get the SG NOTE that would be one of the best options, followed by the Gnex.

On the qwerty side the only outstanding offer is the Samsung Stratosphere: LTE, rootable, unlocked bootloader

I'm flattered