Did you also reboot or restart the dbus daemon after copying the tether dbus configuration script into place? It's a long shot given that the debug command launches a new instance and you aren't seeing anything, but I thought I'd ask...

Well, I'm running this in the xterm as root:

Code:
/usr/bin/run-standalone.sh dbus-scripts --debug --session
but all I get is this (new printout every few seconds) while I connect to the Bluetooth tether (the BT icon does change color to indicate the connection state changes)

Code:
============
Arg 1: :1.31
Arg 2: com.nokia.modest
Arg 3: com.nokia.modest
Arg 4: GetUnreadMessages
============
Arg 1: :1.311
Arg 2: :1.31

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
@ToniA do you have any new update on using dbus? BTW, you're reminded that the dbus is not a pre-requisite on making Bluetooth-PAN tethering. You could still use the original version in #1.

The whole meaning of using Bluetooth-PAN is its extreme low power consumption. If you've to build an automatic hotspot as such, you'd better build a WiFi hotspot instead.

Well, nothing new, I'm afraid. I don't really know where to start off on debugging the dbus-scripts.

The whole use case is to be able to use N900 as the modem for a Wifi-only Xoom. The tethering works fine, it's just that I need to run the 'tether.sh' script manually, instead of having dbus-scripts doing it for me.

Originally Posted by ToniA View Post
Well, nothing new, I'm afraid. I don't really know where to start off on debugging the dbus-scripts.

The whole use case is to be able to use N900 as the modem for a Wifi-only Xoom. The tethering works fine, it's just that I need to run the 'tether.sh' script manually, instead of having dbus-scripts doing it for me.
Or you could create a screen icon with Queen Beecon Widget. As I said before, the whole point of Bluetooth-PAN tethering is to tether at minimum power consumption. If you've to add extra layer of process just to make it running automatically, I'd rather recommend WiFi hotspot.

Thanks for your feedback. You might want to raise your question on dbus-script in a separate post for more help as the issue you've encountered seem to be a general dbus-script setup problem rather than issues on Bluetooth-PAN or tethering.

I'm such an idiot... I can't believe in fell into this newbie trap of not having the executable bit turned on for the /usr/bin/tethering.sh.

It works like charm now. Thanks guys!

And yes, the Bluetooth over PAN is exactly what I need. That's the only way to tether the Motorola XOOM into a Nokia phone, for example at the summer cottage, or on the road.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToniA For This Useful Post:
Hi Guys,

Some good work here on getting the Xoom to tether and run with the N900 I bought the Wifi only Xoom also with the express intention of tethering it to my N900 but didn't realise it's limitations with ad-hoc networking until too late

I've been trying to get the N900/Xoom tether working on mine and have followed the instruction given as closely as possible but I'm a total noob at linux so some if this is totally confusing for me. I started off following the installation instructions from 9000's original post but ran into a problem that I couldn't find iptables to install on the N900, my pc connects to my N900 and I can join the PAN however I get no internet connection, is this because iptables isn't installed and if so where can I download it?

On the plus side I can now select Tether in my Xoom's Bluetooth connection just still can't use the net

Originally Posted by Ardraaken View Post
Hi Guys,

Some good work here on getting the Xoom to tether and run with the N900 I bought the Wifi only Xoom also with the express intention of tethering it to my N900 but didn't realise it's limitations with ad-hoc networking until too late

I've been trying to get the N900/Xoom tether working on mine and have followed the instruction given as closely as possible but I'm a total noob at linux so some if this is totally confusing for me. I started off following the installation instructions from 9000's original post but ran into a problem that I couldn't find iptables to install on the N900, my pc connects to my N900 and I can join the PAN however I get no internet connection, is this because iptables isn't installed and if so where can I download it?

On the plus side I can now select Tether in my Xoom's Bluetooth connection just still can't use the net
You must install iptables, alongside with all the pre-requisites as listed in the instruction for this script to work.

In order to install iptables, you need the kernel power; and to install kernel power, you need to enable the extras-devel repository in application manager and then update the package listing.

Also, this script requires root to run, so you need install rootsh as well. Please go through the instructions again, especially the pre-req part.

I am on the move so I cant give you further help atm. You would like to research a bit on how to enable extras-devel repository. Hope this helps.

Sorry I might not have been overly clear...

I've installed everything from the pre-req's with the exception of iptables. I have access to Extras-Devel (set it up from day one) and have Kernel Power installed from a previous attempt to tether using MobileHotspot unfortunately iptables package isn't showing up in the list of apps for me so I'm unable to install it.

Appreciate the quick response 9000, thanks

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Jamaica
try apt-get install iptables from xterm

Tags
bluetooth-pan, tethering