Hi guys.

I dont know where else to look. A friend of mine wanted to move all his images from /MyDocs/DCIM/ to the internal mmc. As he told me he moved them with a filemanager (like midnight comander, or the inbuilt) over to the MMC. He did not copyed, he moved. So as he had 1000images or sth it took a little while, so he layed down his cellphone and went away. When he came back, the phone was out of battery, shut down, and the move operation wasnt complete.

So now there are some pictures on the MMC, some in DCIM and some are totally missing. The question now is: Are these missing pictures maybe somewhere around in the device? Maybe a temporary folder or sth which is not linked with the imageviewer...

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
That's weird. Moving files across separate filesystems involves first copying and then deleting, so either a file was moved or it was not, but there's no intermediate state. What could happen is that after copying the original was not deleted, but then you just have two copies of the file.

If the N900 shutdown because of low battery then it should have unmounted the file systems (or mounted read-only).

But obviously you say some files are missing, so there must be something I'm missing.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
There might be some missing through a failed sync just before the shutdown. Also corrupted file nodes might be hidden as well. You could try to recover the files with testdisk from recovery-tools package.
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get install recovery-tools
Actual the files are not erased, but just made sort of 'unknown' to the filesystem. testdisk might pick them up just fine. If some file system got corrupted during the power outage, then you should check the file systems.
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk1p1
mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1
This is for the removable card, use the commands accordingly for the internal card.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
There might be some missing through a failed sync just before the shutdown. Also corrupted file nodes might be hidden as well. You could try to recover the files with testdisk from recovery-tools package.
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
Actual the files are not erased, but just made sort of 'unknown' to the filesystem. testdisk might pick them up just fine. If some file system got corrupted during the power outage, then you should check the file systems.
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk1p1
This is for the removable card, use the commands accordingly for the internal card.
Alternately IIRC I have rescued files before by mounting the filesystem with my Ubuntu desktop and locating the hidden trash folder.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

I will try that.

and is it maybe possible to find the files in the hidden trash folder via Easy-Debian??

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Re. hidden trash folder.

The N900 doesn't have (create or use) that. If you delete things from the N900 in mass storage mode using some graphical file manager (at least gnome), it will create that folder and use it. But obviously if you just use the Unix rm command (from a PC with USB or directly from the N900, no trash folder will be created or used.

Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk1p1
And what is the command for the internal memmory? Sorry i can find it, and obvisously you know

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Sure!
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Malaysia
Try scanning the DCIM folder with TestDisk. (Found on extra devel or devel repos). You can locate some deleted files that you can retrieve

check my almost similar thread about losing data/file corruption
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84351

and how to do by michaaa62 too :

Little walkthrough:

Start testdisk,
let it create a 'Fresh Log',
choose your card [should be just one] /dev/mmcblk0,
Intel partition table [if it asks for the info]
Quick Search

You might then try to choose the MyDocs partition, typing 'p' will list the files, arrow keys to get into directories, red entries are deleted files or folders.
If you want to recover them you have to choose a new location for the copy [you are asked for the location, where you want to save it. '.'stands for the current directory you are in, '::' stands for the upper directory.]
Again use the arrow keys to go to the temporary folder for storing the files. There is still the validate question of testdisk, which asks for the location, active in the upper part of the window. Hit 'Y' will copy the file to the new location. [Depending on the size of the file or folder this could take some time. Be patient and let it do its magic]
Good luck mate!

Last edited by K9999; 2012-11-17 at 09:53.