Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Read wiki site:
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Marcus/Prey

I've lately messed with Prey to make it work at my N900 and it's basically working now.

It is recommended to manually install Prey, so look at the instructions on the wiki.

The INSTALLER.sh within the folder is an automated installer, which should hopefully work. If not, please help me fix it.
There are some dependencies that I've might left out, so report those as well.

If you got any questions or improvements to the INSTALLER.sh script etc., please do tell me.

EDIT: Haven't tried using it via cell phone connection, so I don't know at this point if that works.
EDIT2: Please note that all features aren't working at the moment. Haven't had time to fix them yet.

Last edited by Marcus; 2011-06-03 at 20:08.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Marcus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
This is a great concept but can you be more detailed, some screen shots maybe? does it have a GUI? etc.
I read the wiki but it doesn't say how to manually install.

Thanks

Originally Posted by carlon View Post
This is a great concept but can you be more detailed, some screen shots maybe? does it have a GUI? etc.
I read the wiki but it doesn't say how to manually install.

Thanks
This is Prey:
http://preyproject.com/

Basically an anti-theft solution.

For manual install all you need are the dependencies and all the contents from maemoprey (a bunch of folders called core, modules etc.) copied to /usr/share/prey/
Then you need to make it run under fcron.
That is all you need to do.

EDIT: Added guide for manual installation

Last edited by Marcus; 2011-06-03 at 20:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marcus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hmmm...
What are its advantages in front of SMSCON? I know SMSCON is activated via SMS and Prey is activated via Internet, but... Any feature wich is better/ doesn't have SMSCON nowadays?

Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
Hmmm...
What are its advantages in front of SMSCON? I know SMSCON is activated via SMS and Prey is activated via Internet, but... Any feature wich is better/ doesn't have SMSCON nowadays?
I've never used SMSCON since Prey does everything I need.
The awesome thing about Prey is that it's available for laptops, tablets and desktop PCs as well.
The control panel is therefore neat, since you can manage all of your profiles from one single site.

Ha ha, you may want to change the topic to Prey (anti-theft) for N900. I thought you were talking about the game called Prey, and was like "what? the N900 can play that? Now I AM in pressed!"

This is still very cool. Will have to give it a try, I haven't ever used SMSCON either.

slaapliedje

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I've never used SMSCON since Prey does everything I need.
The awesome thing about Prey is that it's available for laptops, tablets and desktop PCs as well.
The control panel is therefore neat, since you can manage all of your profiles from one single site.
Yep I use it on my netbook. It's a neat software, but it has several problems (at least with me) gathering certain data from my Ubuntu/XP installations.

I'll try it, marcus. I've been wondering why I didn't saw Prey in Maemo when the porting to Maemo shouldn't be so difficult basing it in the Linux one.
Thanks a lot!

Prey (anti-theft) for Maemo 5 is updated.

Download link
http://www.mediafire.com/?u4ytvcid49f8cmi

Added features
Alarm
Alert
Lock

Please read the wiki for more info.

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Prey (anti-theft) for Maemo 5 is updated.

Download link
http://www.mediafire.com/?u4ytvcid49f8cmi

Added features
Alarm
Alert
Lock

Please read the wiki for more info.
What's the "Secure feature" listed as not yet working? And is there any reason it's being hosted at mediafire rather than added to the Extras repos?

Anyway, good work with this; I will probably get hold of it once i have some more time (and get into next month's data quota!)

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
What's the "Secure feature" listed as not yet working? And is there any reason it's being hosted at mediafire rather than added to the Extras repos?

Anyway, good work with this; I will probably get hold of it once i have some more time (and get into next month's data quota!)
Secure feature
Hides emails and deletes browser cookies and stored passwords for all acounts on your computer, preventing access from unauthorized users. Do not enable unless you REALLY want to.

Since I've never messed with .deb packages (I'm using Arch Linux), I've never learned how to do it.
When I get the time I'll figure out how to do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcus For This Useful Post: