Posts: 53 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Australia
Skyjumper,
Jolla packaged the phone very well. They put the phone box inside a much bigger box. I would say it almost doubled the size of the package. I am also pretty sure that you could ship it safely in a slightly smaller package, but this might be hard to negotiate. I mention this because DHL said the volumetric weight was 0.52kgs. You would save some money if it was slightly smaller.
For the record the package shipped from Jolla via FedEx.
Dimensions: 20x13x9cm & 0.5kgs
It then shipped from Forward2me via DHL.
Dimensions: 20x13x10cm & 0.4kgs & 0.52kgs vol weight.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by toki View Post
i can also confirm. 4G works in Australia (im also im melb)
im with Optus network and zero issues
Just be aware that, like many 4G phones, the Jolla may not work with 4G on the Optus network (incl Virgin, Amaysim etc) in the Canberra region, as Optus uses the TD-LTE 2300 MHz (B40) band here. They may also be rolling out the LTE 700 MHz (B28) band. The Jolla has neither.

I have confirmed this using the same Optus network SIM first in a Sony Z3C, which has both B40 and B28, successfully, and then in the Jolla which doesn't. The Jolla did not connect to 4G.

Last edited by ron3kl; 2015-03-12 at 10:07. Reason: Unclear

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ron3kl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eachna View Post
Sounds stressful. I'm glad to hear you got it and it arrived on Christmas Eve no less! It's nice to hear at least one person put in a little extra effort .

Anyone know of a way to order the phone (legally, without relatives) and have it shipped outside of Europe (Australia in my case but I'm sure Americans would be interested as well) without having a European mailing address?

Edit: ...and with the EU consumer warranty/protection still applying if shipped back to Europe for repairs?.
I have using my Jolla now for about 6 months. It was purchased online from India for just under $400.00AU, try getting a 16gb phone in oz fo that. The phone is a bit quirky and needs some getting used to, but overall very happy. Once I got it, I then ordered the leather case from the Jolla store by giving them my full address, but chose "Austria". Once it left the Jolla store, the good people at the Finnish PO simply changed the country to Australia and sent it on!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jollaact For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ron3kl View Post
Just be aware that, like many 4G phones, the Jolla may not work with 4G on the Optus network (incl Virgin, Amaysim etc) in the Canberra region, as Optus uses the TD-LTE 2300 MHz (B40) band here. They may also be rolling out the LTE 700 MHz (B28) band. The Jolla has neither.

I have confirmed this using the same Optus network SIM first in a Sony Z3C, which has both B40 and B28, successfully, and then in the Jolla which doesn't. The Jolla did not connect to 4G.
I can confirm that my Jolla works perfectly in Canberra, Sydney and country NSW.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jollaact For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
Wondering if anyone in Australia has a Jolla?

Does it work on 3G??

Cheers!
I have a Jolla on Telstra network and it works fine on 4G/3G in Canberra, Sydney and country NSW.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jollaact For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jollaact View Post
It was purchased online from India for just under $400.00AU, try getting a 16gb phone in oz fo that.
Re your India purchase. Can I ask how you were able to send it to AUS? Did you use an mail forwarder or via a friend? Thanks !

The Following User Says Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
As an Australian living in the UK, I can help anyone out who wants a Jolla but needs a European address.

I've sent stuff back to Australia before and it was around £30 for up to 2kg, so not particularly cheap but it is what it is I guess.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm liking the "source from India" concept*, I'd like to see the Jolla trade there remain at least vaguely healthy (via Snapdeal etc).
So I may eventually buy from there (although I'm more likely to wait for the J2 at this point), whilst also encouraging others in SEAsia/Oceania to do so.

*it's funny how it's one of the last places Aussies typically think of for sourcing stuff from, I suspect that'll change greatly in the coming decades

the price is slightly cheaper in india as well, by about AU$30, but snapdeals site says the Jolla is currently sold out.

You never know, the J2 might actually get a proper launch in Australia

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So I may eventually buy from there (although I'm more likely to wait for the J2 at this point), whilst also encouraging others in SEAsia/Oceania to do so
So what is the timeframe for this mythical J2? And where can I go to look at its potential features/upgrades?
I am wanting to get a phone soon too...

Tags
australia, jolla phone