Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Hi all,

I've observed a number of times that when a browser window is minimized and the page is loaded but the site auto-updates, the browser doesn't update till brought to the foreground.

For example, visit bbc.co.uk/sport and view any live scores page and minimize the window. After 5 minutes bring it back to the foreground and only then all the updates start appearing.

So far, I've tried adding an entry in /etc/meegotouch/themdaemonpriorities.conf as follows:

Code:
[SpecificApplicationPriorities]
sysuid = 90
duihome = 80
meego-im-uiserver = 70
grob = 70

This hasn't resulted in any difference. Hence, I'd like to invite more ideas on what could be done to remedy this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, another issue is when your screen is locked, the browser won't be updating too. I think this issue can be corrected but am unsure on what exactly is the regulator for this behaviour!

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-28 at 15:52.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
It's a "feature" to prevent battery draining. Current Opera releases also suspend updating the screen when in background. It's not an OS thing, as the OS merely reports to apps when they're being pushed to the background. Apps can then do as they see fit - and that's why iOS and Windows Phone sucks.

QtQuick has a WebView element. Perhaps that one continues to run in the background. However, other than creating an app out of it I've no idea how to test this quickly. (Is there a default QML viewer somewhere around? Or perhaps Python?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Yup exactly I know its a so-called feature but on our devices that should be multi-tasking at ease this is a bit of a downer

The QtQuick WebView maybe able to be used as just a viewer? For example, an user executes it via terminal with an URL inserted then it opens with that URL loaded...A minimize wouldn't suspend it hence allowing for updates? Even if it doesn't have any other feature other than being a viewer, it would be some sort of compromise, no?

Maybe the QML Web Browser Demo is of some use?

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-28 at 16:15.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
IDK if this is going to help you, but here is BrowserTest. It opens the given URL in a as-simple-as-possible WebView. Created using QtSDK with QtQuick app wizard. Basically it's nothing more than QML viewer with a simple QML. After installation you can find that QML in /opt/BrowserTest/qml/BrowserTest/MainPage.qml, where you can edit it at will to fiddle with the webview.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzillogic,

Thanks! the browsertest does update even when minimized...Although it isn't a proper web browser it does well in cases when live scores are needed it updates almost instantly!

Thanks once again!

Good to hear. It wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade it to a more functional browser, but then again it might even be simpler to make it show only the page(s) you're interested in, slap a nice icon on it and be done with it

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Good to hear. It wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade it to a more functional browser, but then again it might even be simpler to make it show only the page(s) you're interested in, slap a nice icon on it and be done with it
Yup I'll just play with it to make it have scrolling and I think its pretty much done then ...