Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Yes i noticed that but so did the marketing people say about N900. While they where technically right it really had 256mb and rest was swap. Here i think we got 512mb and rest is swap.
N900 was marketed as "Up to 1GB of application memory (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)", not as 1GB of RAM.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
To all

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598

Qqil provides some answers there and below

Questions asked in my blog:

Are there any details of how open / hacker-friendly it is? A bit of Googling hasn’t brought anything up. E.g:

> can I open a terminal, wget an unsigned package file and install it?

I haven't tried, but you can do it this way if you have all the pieces: terminal app (it's open source and maintained) and wget (not sure if it comes with Busybox out of the idem). I'm installing packages directly from the browser, by clicking .deb links. Very convenient. This is not the behavior by default but you can enable it through the settings UI.

> can I submit a bug report or patch that may get into a firmware update?

Yes, but give us a bit of extra time to post the URL.

> are any of the N9′s applications open source?

The default approach is to have a Nokia proprietary UX layer including the applications.

> can I run Python / PHP in the terminal?

If someone ports the libraries, yes.

> are standard bash/busybox/GNU tools available?

Busybox 3:1.19-7+0m6

Right, so Busybox and bash appear as green (upgraded compared from Fremantle) while wget is blue (available in Harmattan, was not there in Fremantle).

The sources are available at http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/harmattan-beta/

The community contributions are expected to be delivered through apps.meego.com and the related MeeGo community OBS, both having a MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan target. More at http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Apps

Users need to install the Terminal app. Installing packages and their repositories is trivial through the browser, though.

The open/closed approach continues being open platform (maybe with exceptions) and closed UX. If there is a components that appears closed and you want to see open RIGHT NOW is the best time to start discussing. The best argumentation is that the MeeGo project is interested in integrate that functionality, as it has been the case for over a year now.

About how the meego.com and nokia.com repos will coexist: as you can see them already now? MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan uses its own infrastructure (just like all vendors are expected to have their own infra, even if they are 100% MeeGo compliant). The community apps can have a common public interface thanks to Community OBS and apps.meego.com cleverness.

Last edited by Frappacino; 2011-06-21 at 09:03.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Just for clarification: the whole thing about future disruptions is about what comes after the N9, not the N9 itself. The N9 is very much about world's firsts: all-screen phone, webkit2 browser, 8 MPIX camera with 16:9 wide angle lens, Dolby Headset support...
Maybe it's just me, but those aren't very impressive "world's firsts"... got any others?

Originally Posted by skinny View Post
Maybe it's just me, but those aren't very impressive "world's firsts"... got any others?
first phone with 7000 + anticipation post thread?

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
You seem to be hard sell. No, it doesn't have artificial intelligence with 3D holographic display that can read your mind. Well in this challenging case, I recommend holding it in your hands and trying it out. It's like nothing before yet it's instantly easy to use.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Well in this challenging case, I recommend holding it in your hands and trying it out.
I wish I could

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
don't worry, these feelings are perfectly normal after reading 7000 posts from N9 anticipation thread. there are always huge speculations about mindblowing things, one should always take them with a grain of salt.

it is good to see that swipe features have been implemented more, I like them a lot in M5
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

so, how soon can i have it in my hands?

and do the lower specs suggest a lower retail price (£300 rather than £450)?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
You seem to be hard sell. No, it doesn't have artificial intelligence with 3D holographic display that can read your mind. Well in this challenging case, I recommend holding it in your hands and trying it out. It's like nothing before yet it's instantly easy to use.
A hw keyboard would have been a good start. Maybe even some kind of new tech, haptics or the like, so that the new buttonless screen real estate you guys seem to treasure so much doesn't get obscured by 50% when you need to type something into the phone.

But that's just me....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Hint: It's a 1 GB of RAM! Not 256MB...
Learn to read.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????