Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by meloferz View Post
I feel confused about this 🤔https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ebc13eb176.jpg

Enviado desde mi Xperia Z2 mediante Tapatalk
And then this 🤔

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, I'm kinda disappointed - I guess I expected something more after all the waiting without any incremental updates since the initial announcement.

Oh well - at least it's finally officially confirmed one can buy a Xperia X now and then flash a supported Sailfish OS image on it at some unspecified point of time when it actually becomes available.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by Hensch View Post
As they wrote they want to hold the number of community devices low. Devices with similar chipsets to the X have a higher chance to get a port of SFOS than others. If the X compact is very similar (I don't know), chances are high. That's what I got from the post.
According to what I read on GSMArena, they are basically the same phone, the Compact has just a smaller screen. So I guess we can be positive the X Compact will see a port....soon

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by meloferz View Post
And then this 🤔
Yes, he meant Jolla will not sell Xperia X devices. But they think about selling the image (or maybe pieces of software?).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensch For This Useful Post:
So, who of you is cbeta-member and will be testing the Xperia X port?
I am eagerly waiting for first hand reports

Anyone has an idea how big the cbeta group is?

The Following User Says Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
When I see this from the blog

"We can officially support only a limited amount of different community devices. Therefore, we need to be smart about the next devices as support for those devices may be coming a lot later than support for the first device. When we plan the supported next Sony device after Xperia X we need to consider a few things: do we choose hardware with similar chipset or not (supporting different chipset vendor would be a lot more work), how popular is the device, and of course we need to check if the community has progressed well with some certain device port. In this case, it has potential to be the next officially supported device."

I think of a very old article from a blog call "My disagreement with Elop on MeeGo".

https://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/0...elop-on-meego/

"Nobody I know believes what Elop said, and let’s keep in mind that Elop is not an expert in this area, we are. So my guess is that he got his information from some upper management guy who didn’t know what he was talking about either.

As I explained Elop, if we wanted to ship 10 devices with OMAP 3 (the same platform of the Nokia N9) today, there is absolutely no problem from the software point of view: all the UI software remains the same, and the hardware adaptation would probably require few modifications, if any.

The problem is when porting to an entirely new hardware platform, say Snapdragon. Suppose only 3 devices are planned on the “years immediately ahead”, well, then it makes sense to have 3 different hardware platforms, and each one of those requires work from the hardware adaptation team, not from the upper layers, though. However, that’s not a technical limitation, it could very well be 30 devices instead of 3, it’s basically the same amount of work for us. IOW; what matters is the hardware platform, not the number of different devices.

Note: all these are merely examples, not actual plans

Funnily enough, Windows Phone only supports one hardware platform: Snapdragon (and in fact only certain chips). So MeeGo already has an advantage over Windows Phone; you could ship more devices on more hardware platforms. All we need is the word.

Not to mention the fact that most of the hardware adaptation is already done by hardware vendors. They do it because it’s the easiest way to demo their hardware (it’s Linux). I tried to explain that on an earlier post where I show many examples of people porting MeeGo to a plethora of devices (it’s easy and fun)."

Last edited by bnwg; 2017-06-29 at 14:11.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bnwg For This Useful Post:
Well damn, I guess I'm gonna get me a Xperia X Compact and play the wait game for Sailfish OS. Maybe I can learn to live with Android for the time being. Really don't want a big phone, IMO N9 was the perfect size.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to salamisami For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Well, after more reading in the Jolla Blog James confirmed that Sailfish OS will not be downloaded for free, now the question is how much will be cost? 🤔

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salamisami View Post
Well damn, I guess I'm gonna get me a Xperia X Compact and play the wait game for Sailfish OS. Maybe I can learn to live with Android for the time being. Really don't want a big phone, IMO N9 was the perfect size.
Seems like Xperia X Compact is, at least in this round, what is being build for.
An Xperia X is on my way

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
I guess i will pay for the Sailfishos image to finance my own oustanding 50% refund of the tablet, somehow schizophrenic :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x