Was actually wondering if such a thing was possible?
i mean - the n900 does know how to broadcast IR, and that's basically what all these remotes do, right?
so why not remove the remotes and add an application?

is it possible or am i just crazy?
(would save me a whole lot of space in my glove compartment!)

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Orlando, FL
As far as I know, gates/garage openers use rolling code radio frequency. Something the N900 isnt capable of outputting. Not saying it couldn't be done with additional hardware added on the garage door/gate using wifi/internet connection. But its too costly to be worth it.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Orlando, FL
Also the IR port on the n900 doesn't output a very strong signal. You'd have to be literally 4 feet in front of whatever you wanted to activate.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Doc-Ziggy.... As much as i agree with the above two comments, this is one i wouldn't rule out...
I'm thinking of overclocking and the USB otg(or whatever it is called). Things that people had said are impossible, or just too darn difficult.... seem to have been fixed and can work!

It probably just needs some further thought. I actually know nothing about garage door openers, but i assume there are different types etc....? - maybe focusing on 1 or two types to get it started?

Is there a list of garage door IR codes - like the tv ones ... just to do a simple IR test (if there are IR versions?)

A different method would be (Using 3rd party hardware) - starting a command via bluetooth or IR to a more powerful radio/IR transmitter situated in the car?
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post

Is there a list of garage door IR codes - like the tv ones ... just to do a simple IR test (if there are IR versions?)
Sure, i'd love to see my garage door code listed on the internet.
How safer can my house be ?^^

Originally Posted by jesuska View Post
Sure, i'd love to see my garage door code listed on the internet.
How safer can my house be ?^^

good point
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Throw the N900 at an exact point on the garage door and wallah!

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Throw the N900 at an exact point on the garage door and wallah!
whilst running N900Fly?

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
whilst running N900Fly?
hahah

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Jokes aside, yea it's pretty much pointless. As stated if you put enough extra hardware tie-ins you could make it happen, but then you might as well be focusing on a home automation gateway with a software interface on the N900, rather than just a garage door opener...

The cheapest way of going about it would be to grab yourself a wireless router that you can install OpenWRT on; then you'd need to wire the router into a relay, and have software on the router that would detect when your N900 associated with it/sent some kind of message, and trigger the relay accordingly (the relay of course being wired into your garage door opener trigger circuit). So definitely doable, and could be fun for yourself if you were up to it... but not something that would ever go mass market ;-)