Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
Great step foward.

Along with this, the definition of Blockers, especially with respect to the requirement of Bug-trackers needs to be clarified in the wiki. Is a bug-tracker required for all packages? or only for large ones? This requirement is openly ignored in many cases and the presence of a testing admin with the ability to demote a packege will help enforce the rules.
If you read carefully the suggestions in the link above you'll notice that the bugtracker field will be automatically checked by the autobuilder, so the testers only need to worry about if the bugtracker is invalid (like bugs.maemo.org only). For small packages/themes a e-mail address is enough.

Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
I also didn't see any changes to the quarantine period in you suggestions. Reducing the quarantine for updates would bode well among the developers who feel that the current system does not encourage quick bugfixes.
We'll keep the karma for small modifications as described in the link above, as for the quarantine period I'm against reducing it, the developers have to take in mind that we're no testing slaves , nor the regular user likes to to have updates poping out each hour(at least I don't like ), so the developer need to consider all of these variables for each release. In case of a major flaw, the admins can step in.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Isn't that the Tester role? I read "Tester" as just a title (i.e. standard use-case based design) to describe what anyone can currently do: go in and vote on an app.
Exactly, anyone is free to join in, test only apps that he/she uses and learn more and more. With willing to learn sooner or later will be a good tester .

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Great news!

But am I to understand that once the tests are complete, it will be promoted? Or will there still be the 10 quarantine?
The plan is to keep quarantine, and by my short experience this is very important, I can't remember who suggested the quarantine period, but that person is a smart & experienced person for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matrim View Post
I'd add that when an application is demoted an email should also be sent directly to the maintainer.

Even just an automated email, saying your application has been demoted please check the testing squad mailing list for details.
Unless there's some bug in the system, that functionality is already there for some months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
The plan is to keep quarantine, and by my short experience this is very important, I can't remember who suggested the quarantine period, but that person is a smart & experienced person for sure.
OK. Fair enough. I just wanted to be sure.

But did I understand correctly from one of your previous posts that in case of a critical update, the Admin could be contacted for a speedy release? As an (extreme) example:

With the new firmware for the N900 the app X can cause the device to reboot if pressing the button Y when the setting Z is more than XY. This update fixes it by not allowing it to be more than XY. Please promote this to Extras ASAP as there are many users of this app.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Isn't that the Tester role? I read "Tester" as just a title (i.e. standard use-case based design) to describe what anyone can currently do: go in and vote on an app.
Exactly, anyone is free to join in, test only apps that he/she uses and learn more and more. With willing to learn sooner or later will be a good tester .
Is it? Thank you. The way I read it - and Texrat's comment about needing a registered list of testers, made me think you were looking for people with particular skills and time commitment. I have no skills beyond being a user, and my time for this at present is 'the time I would be using the app anyway'. (Roll on Summer!)

But if you can use me, please add me to the list.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
OK. Fair enough. I just wanted to be sure.

But did I understand correctly from one of your previous posts that in case of a critical update, the Admin could be contacted for a speedy release? As an (extreme) example:
Exactly, FM Radio was one of these examples, we removed it from Extras but we couldn't remove it from every device out there, the best way to fix these issues globally is releasing a new version ASAP.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Exactly, FM Radio was one of these examples, we removed it from Extras but we couldn't remove it from every device out there, the best way to fix these issues globally is releasing a new version ASAP.
The trouble here was that ASAP was not possible due to 10 days of quarantine.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The way I read it - and Texrat's comment about needing a registered list of testers, made me think you were looking for people with particular skills and time commitment.

No no-- not a registered list of users, but a mailing list for testing. Sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi,

I really do like this suggestions! One thing seems to be important for me:

Hi,
* Testing Squad mailing list:
- Public mailing list where are discussed any situation/issue/doubts concerning the applications in the maemo.org repositories.
- Receives a automatic notification for each packages that enters testing, is demoted or is promoted.

if a package is promoted the should have to be a list of changes. Is there already a possibility in the publishing interface to put a change log or at least a link to the change log location inside of it?
It would really improve the efficiency of tests if the tester knows where are new features (I know that's not all... ).

* Organized testing:
- In each week one of the testing squad members is responsible for the elaboration of a small list of apps that should be tested. We'll start with a 5 a day (or 3 a day) approach in the beginning. Of course the testers are free to test other apps or do all the testing in just one day. The objective is have the apps tested by the end of the week.
3 or 5 a day sounds very much. Maybe we should classify the apps. A complex application should get 3 complex points a simple new desktop theme maybe only 1 complex point. Than it would be easy to say lets test apps with in sum 5 complex points. What do you think?

This answer also goes out to the community mailing list.

Ciao Uwe

Me on twitter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:

Tags
extras, squad, testing