Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
Hi everyone , I have searched and couldn't find any app that I can lock the screen manually(as a shortcut on the desktop)rather than using the key all the time ?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers.

I don't know of any shortcut, but I use doubletapping the power button.

It's much better than the slider, I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MOC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
Originally Posted by MOC View Post
I don't know of any shortcut, but I use doubletapping the power button.

It's much better than the slider, I think.
thanks for replying , that is a good hint !

I would still like a app that can be touched once on the desktop rather than pressing the power button twice , but that is just me , maybe being a little picky

Cheers

try this
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Lock Screen
Comment=lock_screen
Exec=/usr/bin/dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:locked
Icon=qgn_list_cp_security
save as lock.desktop to /usr/share/applications/hildon/

original post here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23696

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fred123 For This Useful Post:
Isn't the slider the most convenient and fastest way to lock the screen??

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Kaiserslautern - Germany
I think everone knows that this button exists and knows what it does...

My reason to realize this shortcut is a result of the way I handle the N900. If I uses the device with one hand (I'm lefthanded) the slider is not reachable until i turn it.

Originally Posted by fred123 View Post
try this

save as lock.desktop to /usr/share/applications/hildon/

original post here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23696
thanks for the codes , if I do it correctly , I'm going to get the secure device button when the power button is pressed ? is there anyway to get the shortcut on the n900 desktop like for example fm transmitter shortcut ? :

Originally Posted by z3phyr View Post
Isn't the slider the most convenient and fastest way to lock the screen??
Sometimes you just don't want to use the keyboard and want to just use the virtual keyboard instead

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Kaiserslautern - Germany
@ SR90

No, you already have this Device Lock (Lock with Code) and Keylock button in the power menu (originally it has no key icon)
This .desktop file "creates" an app in the "more" folder which you can put on the desktop as a shortcut to lock your N900

Last edited by Diamorph; 2010-01-23 at 12:57.

Originally Posted by Diamorph View Post
@ SR90

No, you already have this Device Lock button in the power menu (originally it has no key icon)
This .desktop file "creates" an app in the "more" folder which you can put on the desktop as a shortcut to lock your N900
thanks for replying

I'm a complete newbie (sry ), so after saving as .desktop file , how do I have to place it in /usr/share/applications/hildon/ ?

the app can lock and unlock the device by pressing it on desktop ?
Oh god , I have to learn basics of linux lol

Cheers.