As much as Nokia has really put their foot in it, it may give them renewed confidence that what they had all along (ie. meego) was the key to success, and motivate them more to push out some really eye opening products. Only time will tell!

only problem would be to rehire all the staff they fired. And i think they need a Finnish CEO... Nokia is Finland, Finland is Nokia. You shouldn't try to change that.

Last edited by Dared; 2012-04-27 at 06:08.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Faustino's rumor left my whole house white. Let's just hope that nokia's deal with microsoft is honoured like their deal with intel.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Let's play along... first off, they wouldn't produce the 41mp number in any part of their marketing. Instead, it would be marketed as "the world's first camera that works like your own eyes... captures the infinite detail of your surroundings and stores it on an innovative phone that allows it to record what you see... announced Retina Capture." or something.

Then the specs would come out, after the fact but it'll have some caveat like you need to pay for their Aperture software - which is like $89.99 via the iTunes App Store - to fully transfer all of that detail to your computer. Speaking of your computer, you will need their new Retina Display monitor or Retina Display iMac or Retina Display enabled Mac Book Pro to enjoy such detail from your Retina Capture enabled iPhone.
All the above is gonna happen for sure. RetinaVision will be available soon to be viewed solely on RetinaBox.

Originally Posted by gerbick
Having an interpolated 41mp camera on my phone - if the colors are true and it doesn't introduce a lot of noise to lower light situations; I wouldn't mind. But if it means that I have to lock myself to a OS that I particularly do not like (I dislike Symbian, personal choice) then I have a problem. WP7 and Android don't have drivers to support that level of camera - they're struggling with 8mp and higher, can't imagine scaling up to 41mp will be easier for them.
Symbian or not, that's the differentiating and market disturbing device that will sell and is a sure winner for Nokia if supported properly. N9 was such a device and yet no support and limited production gave such an outcome.

As for Android/iOS, It's driver and SoC issue. Those chips are not powerful enough to process 41MP. Broadcom is specifically developed for such tech advances on the mobile front.

Originally Posted by Gerbick
Long story made short... Apple is better at marketing than most.
They can make crap look like GOLD in people's minds.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Elop should be fired, Meego should become their main OS. S40 should transition to Meltemi, and Symbian should stay and get developed until they can transition everything to Meego with the power of Qt.. WP (Lumia) should continue in North America and should evolve into a better OS and ecosystem until Meego is strong enough (ecosystem wise) to take over or reside next to Lumia in North America...

Last edited by bandora; 2012-04-27 at 09:23.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Elop should be fired, Meego should become their main OS. S40 should transition to Meltemi, and Symbian should stay and get developed until they can transition everything to Meego with the power of Qt.. WP (Lumia) should continue in North America and should evolve into a better OS and ecosystem until Meego is strong enough (ecosystem wise) to take over or reside next to Lumia in North America...
Fingers crossed they do!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then what? That's something I'd love to hear to be honest.

Their commitment to WP7/WP8 shouldn't be all-in as it currently is. Maemo... they'd have to start rehiring everybody. And if I were those engineers, I wouldn't come back to Nokia unless ownership was given to them in this project.

Nokia has crossed the tipping point, in my humble opinion. So what they do next... they need to make it clear, announce soon, deliver sooner, start with their homebase of Finland and get the people involved, get things moving forward and forget impressing North American carriers and customers. This is not the area where they will sell the most. Asia then Europe then Africa... they need to stay strong in those areas first - or strengthen.

Media deals - why hasn't any handset maker partnered with Pandora or Spotify to the point of inclusion at time of sale yet? Just a thought - they've already handled the licensing, partner with them for online and offline as well as social music sharing. The framework is already there.

Harmattan - move it downstream a bit in terms of price (sorry, but it's not an expensive phone Nokia needs around that OS), release in more markets.

Dunno what's next. I'm just a customer. I can what-if with the best of them, but doubtful I'm close enough to the problem or solution to be taken seriously.
Nokia starts looking more and more like a whale on dry land - helpless, and no one else is able to help them either. They are too big, too heavy, and they have already started to smell really bad.

I thought WP would at least have some traction, but in Europe after some months of sales WP is getting nowhere, even with heavy marketing. The Lumia is not competitive against iPhones and Androids, not at the price point they are selling for right now.

If Apollo is NT core and the N800/900 is upgradable, I will get one.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
Fingers crossed they do!
Honestly, that's probably the best strategy Nokia can do right now! :/

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Honestly, that's probably the best strategy Nokia can do right now! :/
Honestly, its the worst.
Nokia not only secretly withheld their intention to back off with their Intel partnership, but they withdrew all support for MeeGo and their whole Linux (N900/N9/N950) offerings. Then they removed Symbian from "open source" and also said they were going to phase out Symbian, and probably S40 too. They fired most of their staff and gave away many talents to Microsoft.
Basically, NOKIA said they were going to become 100% Windows based.

For them to turn around and utilize S40 or Symbian or Maemo or MeeGo would mean one thing: they have no clue what they are doing, or how to do it!

The best strategy for Nokia now is to make sure Plan A succeeds. They need to develop Windows Phone 8 themselves and make it as good as iOS 5 or ICS, and sell it in devices as good as the iPhone 4S or Galaxy's.

If NOKIA fails with Windows Phone, they fail as a company and will be sold off like Palm. Probably sold in large segments to utilize their cash reserves and IP. The failure on Microsoft will be huge, however its nothing M$ can't bounce back from, since they have a promising offer with Windows8 and since WP8 can be licensed to other OEMs.

The best case scenario, is that Nokia becomes RIM. They offer a niche product, and gain a niche market. They break even in their quarterlies, but never making excessive profits like Apple, Samsung or HTC.

Funny that makes the post-iPhone deathlist: HP, Palm, LG, Dell, RIM, Nokia and possibly Motorola (acquisition pending).

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Funny that makes the post-iPhone deathlist: HP, Palm, LG, Dell, RIM, Nokia and possibly Motorola (acquisition pending).
LG's figures for Q1 2012 beat expectations - increased handset sales and profitability.

Also let's not forget the iPhone was REMARKABLY similar to the LG KE850.

Elop has done an outstanding job of having Nokia served to MS on a golden platter.

Well done Elop.

Tags
blame game, elop the m0ron, goodbyenokia, lumiatard, mistertard, the nokia bash, what's next