Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but:

what is the user (or even the root) password? I looked in the wiki, and in the old instructions, but didn't see it. I can't edit /etc/interfaces as user...

Thanks.
It's right on the wiki page. <_< 'rootme'

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
root password is 'rootme'
user account is locked but you can su to it directly as root. unlock with passwd -u user ; passwd user.

It's in the wiki but kinda tucked away. I'll add it to the FAQ.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
root password is 'rootme'
user account is locked but you can su to it directly as root. unlock with passwd -u user ; passwd user.

It's in the wiki but kinda tucked away. I'll add it to the FAQ.

Got it, thanks (and thanks to General Antilles). My problem was spending too much time in Ubuntu on my desktop. I wasn't 'su -' to root, I was typing sudo...

All workee now.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Sweet now have xfce. except I'm still not getting wlan0 to get a dhcp address. OR do I have the problem of it only working static? I can see my WAP's with iwlist scan, but it won't get an address. I've set my rc.local to set my real mac, and my config is the standard debian

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid {my essid}

then I do ifdown wlan0; ifup wlan0 ... and it won't find squat. (note this wap is a guest wap and has no wpa/wep key)

suggestions?

Last edited by linuxrebel; 2008-05-17 at 00:51.

if you run:
iwconfig wlan0 essid your-ap-name

Then run 'iwconfig wlan0' again, does it associate? If so, could you try running 'dhclient wlan0' by hand?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
output of the iwconfig command #1

Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (81B1A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device;

Run iwconfig wlan0 again

wlan0 NOT READY ESSID: " ap"
Mode:Auto Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

for the dhclient wlan0 I see the expected DHCPDISCOVER happening. However WAP answers are never accepted. I know the WAP works with Linux. If I didn't I wouldn't be typing this right now. (btw the wap is a linksys running linux) The IT seems to think that no DHCPoffers were recieved. However according the logs on the WAP it was sending offers to my mac. Tried it on two different waps so far. Going to try static next.

Sry maybe it's a dum question but is it normal that the wifi applet isn't working. Do I have to use the command lines?

Sry for my bad english!

@linuxrebel: EDIT: I guess I misread what you wrote. Looks like for whatever reason your tablet isn't associating with your AP. A copy of /var/log/messages would be helpful. It's very strange that it's not working for you...

@mactron: I didn't include a wifi applet. I tried network manager earlier but it didn't work right. Wifi radar or wicd might work, but I haven't tried them.

Last edited by Johnx; 2008-05-16 at 10:47.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by smog View Post
how about general responsiveness of the window manager ?

I like ICEWM/os2008 as it's a lot faster than Hildon/os2008 (KDE/os2008 being the worse) but how is XFCE/debian speed wise ?
I answered myself, finaly I found out how to untar the bz2 file.

ICEWM/os2008 is still the king of the hill speedwise but XFCE/debian is a lot more complete out of the box (tar) XFCE/debian is faster than KDE/os2008 and look as complete as Penguinbait's KDE package.

now if ICEWM can be added to the debian base system MAYBE it will be as fast as PenguinBait's version of ICEWM on os2008. for sure ICEWM on debian would be a more complete os than the stripped down version of icewm we got right now (BUT PB's ICEWM run from internal flash on my n800; no need to dual boot)

First off, let me say that this is great. I finally got it booting, and it runs very nicely.

I have just 3 issues/questions currently:

1. How do I drop to the CLI? Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work (alt being "Chr").

2. I can't get wireless to work. It sometimes, when doing iwconfig, says that the device doesn't exist, and, when I do get my WEP key and SSID inputted, dhclient3 hangs. Ideas? I tried putting it in /etc/network/interfaces

3. I made a custom keymap (/etc/keymap.conf), but when I load it, the keymap doesn't change. Is there an xmodmap I should change instead, and, if so, is there a way to disable it?

I'll share the keymap when I know it will actually be useful.

Thanks.

Tags
debian, deblet