Active Topics

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
You get an accurate stylus only with the Note series. unfortunately. Note 4 is still a beast. I don't think the Note 5 can compete, safe for the form factor if you like it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
Since my Note 2 died in July I have been using regular phones for the past few months and I'm now considering buying a new Note. The only choices for me are the Note 4 and the 5 but the 5 feels like a downgrade. No IR, no MHL, no SD card slot, non-removable battery, what else did I miss? Is there something in the Note 5 that makes up for all these things that they gave up?

Could the LG V10/V20 and a stylus be another option? Pressure sensitivity is not a necessity for me but an accurate stylus that can draw fine lines is.
You might also consider the Note 4's brother (or sister), the Note Edge. It does not have quite as much development as the Note 4 but is still the best phone I've owned. I like the wider aspect ratio of the screen and you can flash the Note 4 rom on it if you are not interested in the edge features. I also slapped a lemon battery on it which gives me up to three days usage without charging. Although it's a pretty thick beast now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for a further drop in the Note 4's price but looks like it's already at its lowest at this point. The only thing stopping me is the thought that at that price I can get a Oneplus 3, top-spec'd 2016 phone, though lacking in the S-pen department.

mscion,
I've read that the Note Edge has more screen problems than the normal version that's why I didn't consider it as an option. I'll check other recent testimonies. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for a further drop in the Note 4's price but looks like it's already at its lowest at this point. The only thing stopping me is the thought that at that price I can get a Oneplus 3, top-spec'd 2016 phone, though lacking in the S-pen department.

mscion,
I've read that the Note Edge has more screen problems than the normal version that's why I didn't consider it as an option. I'll check other recent testimonies. Thanks!
Hi. I haven't had any problems with the screen but it was generally agreed that the battery life was not good, at least on lollipop.

About a month ago I ordered a Lenovo Phab 2 Pro but then cancelled. Somehow Lenovo screwed up and put it in the mail to me yesterday. Should arrive next week. Will compare to Note Edge.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Just an update. I bought an LG V20 and a Galaxy Note 4 the other day. I actually bought the LG first then about an hour later I saw an ad for the Note 4 which was being sold at bargain price so I couldn't resist. Two days later both phones arrived and to my disappointment the Note 4 was a fake. I didn't realize that there are fakes of the Note series.
I'm enjoying the LG V20. The removable battery and IR are very much appreciated. I think the high-quality headphone jack output can be enjoyed even by non-audiophiles like me. The audio recording capability is amazing. In terms of camera performance, the S7 Edge is better.

Since my Note 2 died in July I have been using regular phones for the past few months and I'm now considering buying a new Note. The only choices for me are the Note 4 and the 5 but the 5 feels like a downgrade. No IR, no MHL, no SD card slot, non-removable battery, what else did I miss? Is there something in the Note 5 that makes up for all these things that they gave up?

Could the LG V10/V20 and a stylus be another option? Pressure sensitivity is not a necessity for me but an accurate stylus that can draw fine lines is.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Anybody have $1000 to donate to me. Really, it's for a good cause...

http://bgr.com/2017/08/16/galaxy-not...deep-blue-sea/

Last edited by mscion; 2017-08-16 at 14:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Ok folks. Its here. What do you think? Blue or purple?

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/09/tec...ecs/index.html

DeX is a nice feature for Note 9. Also works on Samsung S4 tablet. At one point Samsung was going to make Ubuntu an option when using DeX. Don't know what happened to that project...

Tags
android, galaxy note