Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
@T-unit:
3) OpenOffice can *never* be made to fit into the GUI of the tablets well without rewriting most of the UI.
I'm not convinced of this. I used ssh -X to connect to my desktop PC, ran OpenOffice and it was quite usable on the N800 tablet (provided you have a bluetooth keyboard or N810). Even with the toolbars on. Heck, I even did some Ruby On Rails development using Aptana/Eclipse over ssh on my N800 :-) Try it and you might be surprised

But what does help anyway is to gain as much height as possible since we have a nice wide screen, so I drag all the toolbars to the left and right, which allows you to see more of the document. I do this on the PC as well.

Last edited by TobyK; 2008-02-18 at 05:37.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Well, that's one part of it. But what I was really getting at was the "Hildonization" part, where file menus are part of the window's titlebar, file save/open dialogs are in the hildon style, etc. Either way, you're welcome to try a port. I'm just saying why I think other people haven't tried it. I don't mean to tell people they *shouldn't* try it, if they really want to...

-John

ssh -X still runs the program on the computer you SSH into. All you were doing was display the interface on the IT, in just a raw GTK form (no hildonization, so no stylus keyboard, no zoom, menu, fullscreen buttons, etc) Useful if you need it and have a BT keyboard, but not a great permanent solution for most. Certainly nothing stopping anyone from trying it, but IMHO it might be a better idea to join the AbiWord effort.
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Last edited by megabyte405; 2008-02-18 at 10:42.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Minnesota
Thanks I think I am starting to understand. I wonder if the Open Office Developers would consider developing a run down version of open office for the Maemo platform. kind of like Microsoft did for there mobile os.

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
ssh -X still runs the program on the computer you SSH into. All you were doing was display the interface on the IT, in just a raw GTK form (no hildonization, so no stylus keyboard, no zoom, menu, fullscreen buttons, etc) Useful if you need it and have a BT keyboard, but not a great permanent solution for most. Certainly nothing stopping anyone from trying it, but IMHO it might be a better idea to join the AbiWord effort.
Yes I know, all I was saying is that the UI, when run on the N800, is still usable (because the previous post said that it would *never* work). Obviously, with Hildonization, it would be even better. I would still like to see Abiword running on the N800. I use Gnumeric and it runs well. For now though, I use Google Docs and ThinkFree seems to work well too, especially for viewing.

Last edited by TobyK; 2008-02-19 at 05:13.