Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
couple more questions:

1 I noticed on the help files in the various languages that they are directories. I tried to remove one but it is still there. What is the syntax to remove the French language help file for example?

2 Gerbick: you mentioned that removing help files should gain 1 to 1.5 mb...Is this in total or for each language directory?

Also, I didn't hear back on the possibility of removing default apps like the pdf reader or MicroB for instance...

thx

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've not gotten into the practice of removing default apps; mainly because they tend to be rather small or in the case of modest; rather deeply entrenched. There are some prior threads about removing those apps, but I've always - in the case of PDF Reader for instance - ran into a situation where I needed to open with (such and such) application and the symlinks fail me in an instance or two.

Your luck/mileage may vary on that. I just decided a while back the standard apps don't annoy me that much - all but Microb. Would love to be able to kill browserd; but I've yet to find a full browser that I like that could replace Microb - Tear is great, but has a couple of shortcomings... and it doesn't seem to be updated any longer.

The osso-help was what I was referring to that would gain that 1 or so mb back. The other language files, since you've not run localepurge && docpurge... you'll have to do one by one... and ultimately combined, you can gain about 5-14mb of space. The instructions... or help files for each program, I tend to destroy because I've never used them. Ever.

Now... what help files in what directories are you referring to? If you're specific, I can answer more clearly.

I was referring to the osso help being in various languages (which I really only need US English). Each directory is another language and aren't needed.

FYI, I have run both Localepurge and Docpurge. Localepurge gave me back close to 10 MB where I didn't see any gain with Docpurge.

As Far as MicroB, are you aware of how to remove it? I never use it.

I am thinking that if it is possible to remove MicroB, I will try the other Firefox (Mine...whatever) as a potential replacement. I don't even have Tear installed anymore.

With still being at 185 MB of used internal space, I have to believe that there is something I am missing or don't know about to remove. Especially given the list of apps I have installed as opposed to the amount of install space they take up...the math just doesn't add up

thx

Have you visited /home/user and used the ls -a command there?

You might have a ton of left over files and folders (they all start with a period) from prior apps, now removed, in there.

You've gone from less than 10mb left over to about 70mb. 30mb of which was one program. I'd call that progress.

And no. I do not know how to remove microb. I've never seen a successful removal; but I know it probably can be done. I just wouldn't consider it personally.

gerbick; thanks for the home directory! There is all kinds of stuff from uninstalled programs; Tear for one. So now the question is how do I get rid of it? I think this is where the issue is...

As far as progress is concerned, I'm happy with the results but am looking for more. I think you just found the answer to my mystery...

It is the same command as the other removals...

rm -r .tear for instance. Always be specific and exact when you're deleting those things.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston Harbor
Just chiming in to say thanks. This thread helped a hell of a lot. My N810 has been dragging at startup and on basic connections even after doing a bunch of app cleanups. I just reflashed for the first time in 8 months and it feels good.

Until I read the first two pages I was always wondering how to get rid of all the useless stuff that I never touch. I always got around most of the stuff by installing Rhapsody and Gizmo then uninstalling them.

Now I have a bunch of clean menus for the programs I actually use and a lot of free space for wear leveling! Weeeeeee!

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of some of the games. The only stock one I play is mahjong and that gets old after a while.

EDIT: Just figured it out. They are in /usr/share/applications/hildon
Thanks!

Last edited by daemonforce; 2010-05-20 at 19:25.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
How can I get meta-crawler back?

I'm using Scid and it stopped playing sounds so I figured it might have something to do with that.

Thanks.

hey Addison: was wanting to ask you (slightly off topic)...

if we get a replacement Vmware from Garnet, would you help me through the setup of created my Palm user id and then the directory structure?

I just gave up on it before as I really didn't understand anything in the terminal but thanks to this thread and these folks, I am starting to get a little of it.

Not to mention, now that sooooo many thangs have changed for our n810s recently I cannot even think about getting rid of it!

thx

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
How can I get meta-crawler back?
I personally doubt that's your problem - if it were, then all sounds would fail - but I believe the command in Linux is:

update-rc.d metalayer-crawler defaults

You might have to either pull a start, or simply enough pull a reboot and then use top to make sure it's started with the proper priority.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: