Dear fellow members,

I apologize for my second post ever in the forum being one of help with a somewhat trivial (for most) but brain-wracking dilemma!

I'm new to the meego and maemo community and am excited to be here having enthusiastically lurked on these forums for a few weeks now.

I finally ordered a 16gb N9 and received it just a few minutes back! The unopened case is sitting right in front of me! Can you imagine my will power for not wanting to rip the case of this amazing thing?

Ok, so while waiting for my phone to come (which too almost 10 days ... boy was that painful), I have be reading more and more about the silliness of investing in a 16gb when a 64gb is 'just a little more'. So I'm in a real dilemma as to whether to try and sell this unopened 16 and spring for the 64 gb. A bit of back ground on my uses and the current US market for this might help you understand the dilemma better.

Usage-wise I am coming from a tmobile optimus t (not a great phone by any stretch). Before this, when I was in Canada, I had the first gen Iphone (2g, 8gb) and found no need to upgrade (yes, old school) but the phone finally died (tragic water accident) . I bought a ATT locked iphone recently (for a little more than the price of an itouch) in the hope of unlocking it, but after 2 months of no unlocking solution, I sold the phone for the price I bought it. About that time was also when I first learnt of the N9 and reading and watching a ton of vids on it made me lust after the phone more and more. Now that I have it, I only am wondering if I should have put more money (not that I'm rolling in money) into the 64. The current situation regarding phone availability is that the cheapest (in stock) places sell the phone for about 550 USD (through amazon but not directly... not sure what their reputation is). Sooooo ...on to my questions:

1) do I try and go through the agony of selling this beauty in front of me and wait agonizingly for god-knows-how-long for the 64gb? (this will teach me patience)

2) Are 16gb users for the most part happy? Any regrets?

I'd just like some opinions as I'm sure some of you have gone through this before.

My main motivation against turning it around is the money factor: Iphone 4 was 320 USD > N9 (16gb black ~460) > 64 gb ~ 560 at the lowest end .... a steady increase in price.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Well, what are you planning on putting on the phone? Are you going to use it as a camera/music player and everything else like a small tablet?

Personally I have the 64 GB and 35GB is already full because I have all of the music from my computer on it and I have never deleted a pictures/videos that I have taken from the phone (about 400 pictures/100 videos).

If you are just going to use it as a phone and maybe some music then save some money and get the 16 GB but if you are going to use it for everything you do then get 64 GB. 64 GB is a lot of memory and not many users need it. Hope this helps you a little! And when I got my phone, I was so ecstatic, I didn't even go to my classes and waited till the phone and opened it up right away lol

The Following User Says Thank You to chiron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
there´s no cyan 64Gb version. Period.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
@ user_nameless

Besides chiron's perfectly explained opinion/advice, if u wanted colors, the 16GB-N9 is ur only option, 'coz u can get to the Cyan or the Magenta models here. While with the 64GB - u have only Black & the White option.

Thus, if u r sitting in front of a [boxed]Cyan - and u like that color [I do] go for it. However, if 'storage' counts to u [not to me] - then fetch the 64.

Qorax
Ps.: Personal choice - the White looks great - only available in 64GB.

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
It all depends on what you will be storing on the phone. 16GB and 64GB will give you 9GB and 57GB storage for user data respectively. Your apps go to another partition so it doesn't use up this space.

The main criteria is how much music you have. Normally you'll want to keep all your music on your phone all the time. Photos, video and other media are just stored temporarily for consumption.

Allowing 2GB for video, 1 GB for other media and 1 GB spare, I would say you should be looking at 64GB if you have more than 5GB of music.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Thank you all for your great replies and thoughts ... I did forget to mention that what I have in front of me is the black one. I was tempted by the cyan, but in the went with my fav colour.

I do have more than 5 gbs of music (in total about 79 gb) but the truth of the matter is that don't think I'll even need that uch music at once on my phone.

If I think of selling this piece, is it best to hold off on opening it (as in, does opening it greatly diminish its values?). I ask because I'm dying to take a look at the contents ..

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
bigger is sexier,

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North Carolina
Given that the extra space is all for MyDocs, it seems to me that unless you plan to walk around with a lot of video (weird on a phone imo) or your entire music collection (appealing but unnecessary), you might as well go with the cheaper option.

The Following User Says Thank You to neowolf For This Useful Post:
Neowolf,

That's an interesting take on it. Yes, I usually don't have too much music ... I calculated that 5 GB of music = ~ 500 songs which I think is plenty IMHO.

What is the purpose/utility of mydocs?? Can documents be stored in that partition under 'mass usb storage' mode?

Sorry, i'm just trying to understand how the phone is partitioned and how one can utilize these various partitions.

Cheers

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North Carolina
That's it exactly. It's for files you add in USB mass storage mode. There are separate places for apps and most app data. (Though some could/will use MyDocs as well.)