Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
You can't watch Flash with N900 browser try to search dailymotion on cutetube
OT fix for playing flash on N900:-

Hack flashplayer version with hex editor.
If anyone is interested I changed offset 0x005b61fc in libflashplayer.so to 31 31 2E 32 20 72 32 30 32
(11.2 r 232).

was 31 30 2E 31 20 72 36 31 (00)

Adobe sites still reports 10.1 r61 but works on facebook/youtube at least!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
... fund injection from Mentalist Traceur ...
I presume you announcing this means the money wire came through succesfully?

Originally Posted by Estel
Finally, why only wood is milled on those photos? First, it allows to cut costs on material used for tuning tests, second - due to negligible thermal volume change, is one of best materials for measuring and confirming precision (via micrometer). After arrival of other parts and final assembly (+ confirming, on wood, that everything is OK), I'll go back to testing on metal, and finally, to milling prototypes
Semi-technical question I'm curious about: Does the CNC hardware operate the same way on metal, vs wood? That is, have you ever noticed a precision difference between the same operation on wood vs. metal (not counting the temperature change caused size change in metal)? If it's the same, then perhaps going off of Changegames' idea of wooden cases, you could refine the actual prototype models on wood as well (doing a metal one occasionally to make sure everything still worked, but not for each and every prototype adjustment), for cost efficiency. Though you may have thought of that already.

Originally Posted by Changegames View Post
are you gonna sell wood cases too for people who want a lighter n900, just curious.
I would imagine, if there was enough serious demand for it, and it actually made sense (i.e. it didn't completely muffle antenna signal, weight more than aluminum and/or plastic, or trap heat worse than plastic, and wasn't prone to breaking), that he would.

Given that this is written communication, I cannot determine if your statement was serious or mocking, however I figured might as well answer seriously.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
[...]
I would imagine, if there was enough serious demand for it, and it actually made sense (i.e. it didn't completely muffle antenna signal, weight more than aluminum and/or plastic, or trap heat worse than plastic, and wasn't prone to breaking), that he would.
[...]
It would be cool to be able to get a case made of a semi-exotic wood, like Hawaiian Koa. Though I would prefer aluminum, I'd order both aluminum and Koa (or any other kind of semi-exotic wood) if both were available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
UPDATE: the damm 3000mAh 18650 battery's i got are FAKE.... i finally had the time to test them to begin the test for Estel's XXL cover idea using 2x 18650 for cheap and 6000mAh+ battery.

The battery's i got i tested to only 1000mAh....

So now i have to source some other 18650 battery's.
Let me guess... Ultrafire? Most of them you find online are fake, old recycled laptop cells wrapped in counterfeit Ultrafire label. There are "real" ultrafires but it's almost impossible to know. I think there are counterfeit Trustfire as well. Basically all *fire brands are questionable.

It is believed they are all recycled cells and the "real" ones are better tested than the "fake" ones, but using them in pairs can be dangerous because you don't even know if the 2 "identical" batteries you buy have the same chemistry or capacity. Buying the *fire brand is basically random luck, some people get a really good battery others are total crap.

I think current "Best" brands of 3100mAh protected 18650 are mostly assembled by Keeppower as OEM, using Panasonic cells and Sanyo protection circuit. There is an eBay seller with Keeppower originals which I personally have purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270965512744

Other brands who seem to be good, brand new cells, are XTAR, Senybor, AW, Orbtronic. Often they have the same look and I guess they're actually all made by Keeppower. I'm not aware of counterfeits of these so chances should be better that you get a real original battery.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
yes wood would be wonderful, but, imho, wood would needed to be assembled onto aluminum or something like that.
wood would also be much more fragile too
maybe wooden logo "N900" or something?
what about engraving on cover or printing? that would be nice too

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I presume you announcing this means the money wire came through succesfully?
I'm absolutely sure, that I've sent You PM with thanks and details (and photos and videos), few hours before posting here. Haven't You received it? In such case, I'm really sorry, as I never meant to have You informed about successful transfer via 3th person mention, here.

As for Wood, in bigger scale, it reacts similarly - of course, considering swapping mill's razor to appropriate one, adjusting RPM, etc.

Of course on smaller details, it acts differently, due to wood being made of strains. But, it's possible to test first prototypes on wood, and that's my plan

Changegames, Ken-Young - I've though about some fancy wooden cases It wouldn't be as practical as alu ones, but who knows? As Mentalist said, with demand, I don't mind trying it. N900 in case made of some exotic wood, would look kinda "luxury", yep?

wook_sf, as declared earlier in this thread, custom engraving (text, logo, or whatever buyer feel fancy) is a special "thank You" for people pre-ordering. In some special cases - like Ken-Young, who donated almost as much as replacement body pre-order, without actually pre ordering - custom engraving will be proposed too

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
after i tested the battery's i found an article about the randomess og finding the original good ultrafire....

but i found some others and will get them when there is some spare money, i do have a set that should total 4000+ from a HP laptop, i get a lot of working/non-working laptops now and then, i used the other 3x2 cells for my 1015PN wich now has a battery that has the normal 3x2 2200mAh cells + 3x2 2200mAh cells and it works nicely, have doubled life time on battery power.
Will be adding to my battery thread under misc....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm absolutely sure, that I've sent You PM with thanks and details (and photos and videos), few hours before posting here. Haven't You received it? In such case, I'm really sorry, as I never meant to have You informed about successful transfer via 3th person mention, here.
Ah, yes, the last PM I have from you was on the 10th. Possibly a typo in my username, or you hit 'reply' on a message in your sentbox from you to me - in which case, the forum software would just use your own username as the recipient (I know I've accidentally done that a few times, expecting the intelligent GMail behavior instead of the more automatically use person in sender field behavior of most forums).

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
really really nice, and i am looking forward to see more upcoming.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Are you going to make normal "original" back covers, too?

I'll keep checking back, when it gets closer I would get a replacement body and an "original" and larger back cover, but I'm too poor right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel