Posts: 48 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Jan 2016 @ Münsterland, Germany
Hi all,

did any of you play around with the "two stage" shutter button and the stock app "snapdragon"? I expected it to be somewhat haptic in order to discover the first stage "focusing" and then move on to the second stage "taking a picture". But somehow I can't distinguish between stage one and two, thus I'm taking pictures without focusing first. That's not a problem, but I wonder if all shutters are designed this way?

BR
xelo

The Following User Says Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by xelo View Post
did any of you play around with the "two stage" shutter button and the stock app "snapdragon"? I expected it to be somewhat haptic in order to discover the first stage "focusing" and then move on to the second stage "taking a picture". But somehow I can't distinguish between stage one and two, thus I'm taking pictures without focusing first. That's not a problem, but I wonder if all shutters are designed this way?
Doesn't sound familiar. I have been using the Snapdragon camera app quite a lot, and always with physical camera button. I can easily feel the difference between "focus" and "shutter". Of course the button feedback is nowhere near to a DSLR shutter button for example, but still performs quite good. I don't remember taking any photos accidentally without focusing it first. You should see the focusing ring on the screen to turn green when it has made the focusing successfully.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by netman View Post
I finally got around finishing the review I had written . http://matland.be/?p=things&s=pro1review
Well written! Thanks! Please update your report when you find something unexpected in this phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mirze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Something unexpected happened to me today. The Pro1 haddied in my pocket. It had at least 50% of battery remaining, and everything had performed normally before. But then I just found it powered off, and at first it looked like it won't wake up. I pressed power button several times, no response. Then I tried pressing vol up/down (don't remembr which one) and power button simultaneously. Then it finally woke up and gave me some "no command" text with android logo robot having it's stomach opened. It got stuck there, but by pressing only power button for 5s or so, it finally booted to OS. Now it works like charm again, no idea what that was.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Doesn't sound familiar. (....) You should see the focusing ring on the screen to turn green when it has made the focusing successfully.
Thank you Koiruus. The focusing ring does not appear on my unit and neither my wife nor my coworkers can feel the difference. I think the button might be defective.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
To prevent misunderstanding, are you talking Android or Sailfish?

On Andriod the snapdragon camera app that starts up using the camera button is super buggy.
Even Steve Litchfield was fooled to think the Pro¹ did not take a picture at all since there is no shutter sound and the saved pictures are not previewed.
On Android i used Open Camera which fixed those problems.
On Sailfish all is working great with the stock jolla app as well as with Adams Advanced Camera.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
To prevent misunderstanding, are you talking Android or Sailfish? (...) On Android i used Open Camera which fixed those problems.
On Sailfish all is working great with the stock jolla app as well as with Adams Advanced Camera.
Thank you for the question for clarification. I'm still using Android.

The shutter button does not seem to work with other camera applications, as it always opens snapdragon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
The latest news arrived in mail. There's a slightly longer delay before the production continues as the Chinese government extended the holidays as a response to the virus outbreak in Wuhan. Too bad I still haven't received my device, the large batch must have been only/mostly QWERTY versions of the phone...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
@xelo

I asked around on discord how to reliably test the 1st stage with clear result to rule out HW fault.
@Noir suggested to install Open Camera and

"open options and select that lock (screenshot attached),
autofocus is disabled then.
1st stage keypress is then perfectly useable to focus"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
ELI5 - explain like i'm 5 (years old)

I've been watching for over 10 years as people try to load various operating systems on different mobile devices. A common theme has become the table that lists which bits of the device are working, partially working, or not working.

I understand this is mostly because hardware components have closed-source drivers, right? Why is this such a large barrier? The lack of documentation on how to interface the binary blob? (assuming a similar kernel)

The Following User Says Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit