Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
I do use multirom, however I did not backup before flashing.
How do you do a backup of a specific rom? I was considering dd over ssh but have not tried yet.

Anyway, the output is:
Code:
$ ls /lib/modules/3.4.0-cyanogenmod-g3a439b93663/
autofs4.ko
modules.order bcmdhd.ko
modules.softdep crc-itu-t.ko
modules.symbols isofs.ko
modules.symbols.bin lockd.ko nbd.ko
modules.alias nfnetlink_acct.ko
modules.alias.bin nfs.ko
modules.builtin scsi_wait_scan.ko
modules.builtin.bin sunrpc.ko
modules.dep udf.ko modules.dep.bin
xt_nfacct.ko
modules.devname
The old kernel restores wlan! Thank you.

Btw, despite the added flags in the kernel Angelfish does not start, I'll report in the other thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
I flashed the new kernel for flatpak support but now I have no WLAN! I can't turn it on...Which kernel do I have to flash to restore the default one?
I know the reason. It seems the wifi module which was coming with this new kernel (flatpak) was not distributed to the device. (I'll ask mautz about it because I got the instruction from him.)

Here is the workaround: (please do not flash the other kernel because you'll get the same issue, hence we should fall back forward )
Please do the following:
- unzip the flatpak kernel into a folder (e.g. /home/nemo/tmp)
- run this command as root
Code:
mkdir /lib/modules/`uname -r`
(Please note the back tick here! This will create the proper folder (3.4.0-cyanogenmod-gcf8d299404c) within /lib/modules where the new kernel looks for the modules.)
- copy the /home/nemo/tmp/modules/bcmdhd.ko into the new location /lib/modules/3.4.0-cyanogenmod-gcf8d299404c/
- reboot

With this you should have flatpak support in the kernel and working wifi.
Please let me know how it went.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
How do you do a backup of a specific rom? I was considering dd over ssh but have not tried yet.

Anyway, the output is:
Code:
autofs4.ko
modules.order bcmdhd.ko
modules.softdep crc-itu-t.ko
modules.symbols isofs.ko
modules.symbols.bin lockd.ko nbd.ko
modules.alias nfnetlink_acct.ko
modules.alias.bin nfs.ko
modules.builtin scsi_wait_scan.ko
modules.builtin.bin sunrpc.ko
modules.dep udf.ko modules.dep.bin
xt_nfacct.ko
modules.devname

Btw, despite the added flags in the kernel Angelfish does not start, I'll report in the other thread.
Please see my previous comment.
The Angelfish is not starting may be because of the same reason why it didn't start on my S2. Probably. It is explained here.

Last edited by edp17; 2020-02-26 at 10:38.

Anyway, the output is:
Code:

The old kernel restores the wifi because its signature (3.4.0-cyanogenmod-g3a439b93663) is the same the folder name where the wifi module is located under the /lib/modules/.

How do we make a backup of a secondary rom with multirom?
Well, we cannot. What we can do is backing up the entire directory where the rom sits but not including the boot (kernel) and recovery partitions.
This means that in your case this "backup" wouldn't save you as you flashed a new kernel (different signature) which has caused the trouble.
On the other hand with this method you can free up some space with archiving unused but wanted to keep roms. Then later it can be "restored" back if you need. (That's how I kept my experiments with sfdroid and older SFOS versions saved onto my network drive.)
If you would like to do this, you just need to boot into another rom and as root create a tar.gz of the whole folder where your other rom sits in /android/media/0/multiro/roms/. (I don't recommend to do this with the rom you are actually using!)

You may also find the following useful.
Because I have lost many well configured systems when tried something new and had to start to setup everything from scratch oll over again, nowadays I am doing the following:
  • On my Nexus I have a very light SFOS installation (call it SAFE) and I have another one that fully configured (call it PROD).
  • When I would like to try something new (like a new kernel) I boot into the SAFE rom and in fingerterm as root I enter into the /android/media/0/multiro/roms/ folder. (This is where you can find all installed roms, so be careful!) Let's say the folder name is production where your PROD rom is located.
  • Then I run the following:
    Code:
    cp -av production copy
    This will make a copy of your production rom into a new with a name copy.
  • Then when you reboot, you can boot into the 'copy' and do your experiment.
This way you won't compromise your well configured rom. Then if you have tested the new stuff on the copy you can safely install that on your PROD rom too. (Otherwise if something goes wrong, you can just delete the 'copy' rom from twrp and start over.)

Last edited by edp17; 2020-02-26 at 12:18.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
@edp17

You can change the kernel string in the defconfig file. CONFIG_LOCALVERSION is what you are looking for. For example:
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-cyanogenmod-g0aac178"
You need to disable CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO to make these changes work.

And you need to change lines 86 and 87 in META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary to match the new localversion.

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
@edp17

You can change the kernel string in the defconfig file. CONFIG_LOCALVERSION is what you are looking for. For example:
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-cyanogenmod-g0aac178"
You need to disable CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO to make these changes work.

And you need to change lines 86 and 87 in META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary to match the new localversion.
Thank you. This was the missing bit.

I have tried the hotspot script but it does not work for me! Any suggestion?

I have tried the hotspot script but it does not work for me! Any suggestion?
It works for me. (I call the script from shellex like: 'sudo hotspot.sh on' and 'sudo hotspot.sh off')
Try yo run in command line and let me know the output.

my bad, I retried today and it works as expected! Yesterday the wireless network was not visible to other devices.

Another problem I just noticed is that bluetooth file sharing does not work. I tried from Sailfish to Android and viceversa but no luck.
Other bluetooth functionalities:
  • Discovering devices works
  • Pairing devices works
  • Bluetooth keyboard works
  • Bluetooth audio works

Is there some log file I can provide you?

my bad, I retried today and it works as expected! Yesterday the wireless network was not visible to other devices.

Another problem I just noticed is that bluetooth file sharing does not work. I tried from Sailfish to Android and viceversa but no luck
Is there some log file I can provide you?
I would be surprised if the wifi hotspot didn't work as I have used that more times daily until I got the XA2.

About the bluetooth file sharing, I am not sure whether that ever worked on unsupported devices. I only use the bt with a headset and an external speaker and very rarely with a keyboard, so I have never tested the file sharing.
You can use the wifi hotspot for file sharing. I know this is a bit inconvenient to use but better than nothing:
  • switch on the hotspot on device 1 and connect to it from device 2
  • on device 2 do a 'ifconfig' to see the IP address (example 172.28.172.2)
  • then use the scp to put the file (example /home/nemo/test.txt) from device 1 to device 2 [code]scp /home/nemo/test.txt nemo@172.28.172.2:/home/nemo/
    Code:
    scp /home/nemo/text.txt nemo@172.28.172.2:/home/nemo/
  • or if you would like to copy something from device 2 to device 1:
    Code:
    scp nemo@172.28.172.2:/home/nemo/test.txt /home/nemo/
  • or alternatively you can use sftp or rsync. More info here.
I just have tried and it worked.

Last edited by edp17; 2020-03-17 at 13:02.

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid