Hey Guys,

I know its early but, can those of you who have successfully downloaded and are using the new OS2008 on the N800 please comment on the good and bad parts of the new OS. What apps work well and which don't. Whats the best features and which need more attention. Any surprises or hidden apps that were not mentioned? Any tricks to make it even better?

As soon as I find a PC to flash I will upgrade and add my two cents. lol

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
There are at least a dozen good threads on the subject (two of which are on the front page). Why, exactly, do we need another one?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There are at least a dozen good threads on the subject (two of which are on the front page). Why, exactly, do we need another one?
GeneralAntilles,

I appreciate your comments. I did a search before I posted. I looked at other threads and they had some useful comments but they were filled with rants about download problems and such.

I'm just trying to get an overall sense of how this new puppy works with users. The nuts and bolts. I don't want others to have to read dozens of threads like I did to get a good overall report card. lol

For the few times I've been on this forum I've noticed negative, cynical and non productive comments such as this. Is this common practice? Either make a positive, helpful reply or none at all IMO

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fldude99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Hey Guys,

I know its early but, can those of you who have successfully downloaded and are using the new OS2008 on the N800 please comment on the good and bad parts of the new OS. What apps work well and which don't. Whats the best features and which need more attention. Any surprises or hidden apps that were not mentioned? Any tricks to make it even better?

As soon as I find a PC to flash I will upgrade and add my two cents. lol
I'm using the OS2008 as is and it's faster and does all I need without a glitch (as was the OS2006 on my so loved 770). I didn't add any application or stuff. Probabilities are high that I will mess with the USB Host mode more than adding applications. (I use the browser for MS-Outlook online and most of the applications I need are web based)

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
This kind of comment makes me wish we had a 'No Thanks' button.

To answer the original question: one thumb up.

OS2008 MicroB is much, much better, it now feels about the same speed as Opera on the 770, but it handles Javascript-intensive sites and Flash much better.

A second thumb will go up when more apps are available.

The Following User Says Thank You to dont For This Useful Post:
I am on a couple of boards that have become like this. I am afraid to ask something only to get a response that somewhere in the middle of a 157 page thread it was once answered and I should have read the entire thread before asking. I know there are some that obviously didn't search, but sometimes the reprimanding is a little extreme.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to caseyatbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
People should also remember to check here:

http://planet.maemo.org

If you don't know, that's where all sorts of IT users' blogs are aggregated -- and there are quite a few posts about OS2008.

-T.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dont View Post
To answer the original question: one thumb up.

OS2008 MicroB is much, much better, it now feels about the same speed as Opera on the 770, but it handles Javascript-intensive sites and Flash much better.

A second thumb will go up when more apps are available.
This is basically my reaction. Overall the my N800 runs well with OS2008 on it. It seems a little faster, smoother, certainly more stable and much more polished.

I am still pretty new to the N800 (I have only had it for about 3-weeks) and most of the applications I was using on OS2007 are available for OS2008, so I certainly feel like the upgrade to OS2008 was worth it.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by dont View Post
To answer the original question: one thumb up... A second thumb will go up when more apps are available.
That's where I'm at. The overall feel is much snappier, but with the current repository SNAFU I don't have much in the way of apps to make comparisons.