Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I could not live without swype. On my n9 my thumb has learnt the positions so I can swype type without looking at the screen

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Right now, my N900 is in a coma, I'm stuck with my substitute Nokia C7 until my Jolla arrives.
Now my C7 syncs its calendar with Google via Exchange Active Sync. That works only via a paid third-party service, Nuevasync.
And that is the only way I can sync my C7 with anything non-Microsoft powered.
Why? Because the last Symbian supports but two syncing protocols: a proprietary one (MfE) and an open, but outdated one (SyncML) that nobody supports anymore (e.g. Google dropped it January this year).
Why am I talking about this here? Because as far as i can tell (please correct me if you know better), right now Sailfish has that very same situation as in abandoned old Symbian - except I don't even know if SyncML is there.
We have to rely now on some android app working to fill the gap....

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post

UX Questions Part 3: Connectivity, Security, and Comms
I'll try to answer some of your questions that don't appear to have been answered yet.

Are buttons in consistent places? Are pull/swipe functions? Where are they not consistent - but speak only to default apps, not any you had to install (store or side-load)?
Default stuff seems to be very concistent.

Huge inconsistency issue with Android apps and with the fact that at the moment the platform is essentially dependent on Android apps.

What kinds of privacy settings does the browser allow? What kinds do the maps/GPS allow? Are there privacy settings showing but not working? Are there settings not present where there would usually be?
Browser doens't seem have any privacy settings. Its very bare to bone feature wise anyway.

There is a setting on that allows you to allow or deny location data for apps. No idea whetever it applies also to android apps also.

Take a picture, save it. Edit it. Can you undo the edit? Is the original able to be saved apart from the edit?
Currently there's only two edit options: 1. Rotate 2. Crop/change aspect ratio.

Rortating is easy to get back to by re-rerotating back to original state. There appears to be no option to cancel cropping, nor do I see any save options.

By the way, creating theme/ambience from pictures is easy, fast and (at least for me ) addictive.

What kinds of accessibility features are available? Contrast, font sizes, haptic feedback, etc.? What's missing? Can you figure out where you are on the device, if you started from the home screen, without looking or while squinting and the device is an arm's length away?
No font or contrast options. Otherwise yes to your other questions.

Take off The Other Half: is there any part of the device that doesn't work when its not on there? Is there any kind of messages that the device displays when you access the Ambience settings and The Other Half is not attached?
Device works fine without OH, altough battery might drop out if your turn it screen side up without an attached OH (haven't tried).

Not sure what your other question means. Attaching OH activates automaticly the theme set for that other half. There's a message sound that plays when you attach an OH to signal that it has been detected. You are free to edit and change the theme settings for the other half. You can also use the ambiences installed by other halfs when that other half is not connected.

The only exception to these I've found so far is the unique ring and message tones in the first wave preorder OH. It overrides the default Jolla ringrones and makes the ring tones unique to it play, even if you set the phone play default Sailfish ringtones. And those sound aren't availeable when that particular OH is not connected (but the 'graphical parts' that OH ambiance are availeable even when it is not connected).

Last edited by Rauha; 2013-12-14 at 20:50.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Which touchscreen device is really usable with one hand?
certainly not any one with a larger 4 inch display (try to reach the upper left corner of the screen with your right thumb - it's not something you even try getting used to).
The size of the display isn't the limitation, the angle of the diagonal is - size ratio if I want to over-simplify it. In my latter years as a device reviewer (BargainPDA, Brighthand, Nokia Blogger Program, etc.) that was one those ergonomic criteria points I used to evaluate. I'm weird... and have QA, accessibility, and usability experience beyond designing for the screen.

And you did say *fully* usable with one hand, right?
Yes.

I see that working only as long as neither typing nor browsing is involved. pinch-to-zoom with just one hand? please show me! How many people do you ever see typing with one hand (i.e. the same hand they are holding the device with)?
Actually, on my N9, I do a lot of zooming (in and out) with just one finger. Part of the base-ability of multi-touch implementations is to act just like that. Pinch-zooming is for focused zoomming.

In terms of people whom I see typing with one hand, more than 60% if I want to be honest. I watch people and their mobiles about as much as Jan Chipchase and other design researchers. I tend to be very interested in the mobiles that women use - paying very much attention to using mobiles while shopping, handling children, etc. I've also got a sizable amount of male friends and associates who tend to be larger than average height. They usually find <4.5in screened devices too small to type with larger matt fingers, but small enough to utilize with one hand in a swinging motion after pulling it off of a belt clip.

The two handed folks I see usually have mobiles larger than 5in, or are heavier typers on auto-correct themed devices like the iPhone.

Be honest: If your messages are longer than one phrase, you usually bother to employ the second hand as well, or postpone the typing to a situation where you have both hands available: true or false?
False - when I'm counting just my usage. I type with one hand only on the N9 using swype (and even those off times when I grab 'P' and switch to the regular QWERTY keyboard. Again, I'm weird, and have been typing on various mobiles more than I care to remember at times. The last device that made me use two hands was the N97 - and that was only when I used the QWERTY mode.

True/False - when I'm watching others. Smaller handed folks seem to want to default to two hands and leaning against something when text sessions get larger. But, that's also how current auto-correct QWERTY solutions are designed. BB10 is a better designed 1-handed solution, but for those folks (aside from Gerbick) usually have had the Q10 - which has the hardware keyboard.

To me, completely one-handed usage of phones died with touchscreens (maybe due to the fact that my first touchscreen device was a N900 - but my next one, C7, is in no way better suited).
You didn't have the best QWERTY (ergonomically) as your first touchscreen device - not a pure opinion either, the N97, while designed similar, was tweaked for better typing - the N900 was designed for writing code not sentences. You didn't have a device that was designed to be used in portrait for composition in that device either. The C7 was better, but by that point, I'd assume you were a bit more skewed towards QWERTY as a basis for typing than you were T9. That's just an assumption. Such a device move usually speaks of aquesing to the state of the market and budget, not necessarily getting the best solution available. Not meant as a slight, but I also know a good deal about the psychology of mobile usage patterns. Its part of what I do for my own mobile efforts.

Does that kind of observational ability help determine some of why I make the statements I do?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Device works fine without OH, altough battery might drop out if your turn it screen side up without an attached OH (haven't tried).

Not sure what your other question means. Attaching OH activates automaticly the theme set for that other half. There's a message sound that plays when you attach an OH to signal that it has been detected. You are free to edit and change the theme settings for the other half. You can also use the ambiences installed by other halfs when that other half is not connected.

The only exception to these I've found so far is the unique ring and message tones in the first wave preorder OH. It overrides the default Jolla ringrones and makes the ring tones unique to it play, even if you set the phone play default Sailfish ringtones. And those sound aren't availeable when that particular OH is not connected (but the 'graphical parts' that OH ambinece are availeable even when it is not connected).
Thanks for your answers. Appreciated, and I'm sure that some others will find gems in them as well.

My question looks at the ability of TOH to be truly unique. If the device is completely operable without TOH being engaged, then the position Jolla makes for accessory makers is harder to say "this differentiation makes you money too."

Now, if it is usable, and there's something diminished about the quality of the platform, we might have something there. Depends on what's missing though. If its just sounds and artwork, then TOH didn't push far enough (in this iteration). Not a bad thing, just one of those things that folks trying to determine if #unlike is #unique want to understand.

Also, such a play means that all those 3D printing folks better hurry up and get busy. At least, do something now, so that TOH enhanced accessories become the 2nd/halo market.

Thanks again for your responses. I very much appreciate them. Hopefully, Jolla's devs and leadership do as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Now, if it is usable, and there's something diminished about the quality of the platform, we might have something there. Depends on what's missing though. If its just sounds and artwork, then TOH didn't push far enough (in this iteration). Not a bad thing, just one of those things that folks trying to determine if #unlike is #unique want to understand.
They've explained many times that they intend to do more than just NFC triggered themes/sw_autoruns.
We're waiting on the doco/API for that, so that the I2C interface & related components can be utilised...
They've already leaked some info. (which has helped some preliminary TOH projects), but obviously there's still more to come.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

Also, such a play means that all those 3D printing folks better hurry up and get busy. At least, do something now, so that TOH enhanced accessories become the 2nd/halo market.
The current halfs are basically just for giving the phone different physical look/colour and for installing the ambience related to that OH. In other words: overglorifield alternative covers.

I don't really see that as a weakness, or at least an unexpected weakness. They'll need to sell tons of more units before any commercial operator would begin to make other halfs that would truly take advantage of the possibilities offered by the concept.

But yeah, as you say, 3D printers have lots of options. I would be happy just by having a camera tripod OH that would be dumb (dumb = no fancy data connection).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Currently there's only two edit options: 1. Rotate 2. Crop/change aspect ratio.

Rortating is easy to get back to by re-rerotating back to original state. There appears to be no option to cancel cropping, nor do I see any save options.
That's interesting. If you view the photo from the Camera app there isn't Edit option but if you do it from Gallery app there it is. Otherwise the apps behave so similary when watching photos that I though there are no differences but there actually are

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
That's interesting. If you view the photo from the Camera app there isn't Edit option but if you do it from Gallery app there it is. Otherwise the apps behave so similary when watching photos that I though there are no differences but there actually are
And it would nice to have those edit options when looking at pics from the camera app.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
Sorry to sound like a broken record but what about offline maps turn by turn voice navigation software like that from sygic (plenty of free trials available).
Please name the app and I can test it. Should work, mapquest found my location so looks like GPS is covered by android compatibility (found exact location so I hope it wasn't based on wifi availability), though this app doesn't seem to have offline option or voice navigation, but since voice/sound is working I assume this will work too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience