Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
we evaluated our options and decided that probably we eventually can publish the full EAGLE project files. ;-)
Just for clarification:
You intend to release these files under a license/licenses that would qualify the project as open-source hardware?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
if we manage to do this, then under a licence that would probably qualify it as OSHW.
Though i'm not going to argue with the zealots of openness anymore about such things, since they have very own ideas sometimes. Up to You to check what we do and you put attributes to it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
We've published new note on our website with general progress update. Almost everything you could already read from this thread, so enjoy being the first who knew!

http://neo900.org/news-0004-progress-update

BTW. Have you noticed that we've just been covered by Wired?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
I've been following this from day one and I cannot wait until it's show off at OHSW

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
don't get mistaken, this is a "dummy" without any CPU on it, it only has the modem and the switches and keyboard and connectors, and the PCB of course. We are using it to verify modem functionality and mechanical aspects like switch and contact positions and shape of the PCB.
It will probably impress the hell out of bystanders when we initiate a voice call by typing in the number on the laptop hooked up to the USB of the dummy and then we read out our GPS position and log in to the internet via UMTS, but technically it's not yet the real thing.
Just being honest to you, of course we will get excited when we see our first PCB fitting nicely into the N900 case

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-19 at 17:20.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I have questions related to comments that I read from http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/11/neo900/
From what I read there, is that mean that there are possiblities that a phone with a non-complete-control-modem get data from your phone and transfer it to somewhere else?
There are possibilites that there are people out there who can control your modem and spying or tapping on you?

N900 already has offline mode, is that mean offline mode on N900 actually is not really real offline unlike offline mode on Neo900?

Last edited by Zero Six; 2013-11-19 at 04:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zero Six For This Useful Post:
Please reread, all the answers are already there. Our modem can NOT access anything, unlike some (android) smartphones that have shared RAM, our modem is a peripheral that's under control of the maemo/whatever linux system on the main CPU. For N900 the situation is the same, though the control and particularly surveillance over the BB5 modem in N900 is not as tight as will be on Neo900. We can not guarantee that the N900 modem is really offline when you switch it offline, there is a theoretical possibility that somebody installs a specially crafted spy-firmware on the modem that would make the modem connect to the network even in offline mode. However that would get noticed sooner or later.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-19 at 17:24.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Please reread, all the answers are already there. Our modem can NOT access anything, our modem is a peripheral that's under control of the maemo/whatever linux system on the main CPU. For N900 the situation is the same, though the control and particularly surveillance over the BB5 modem in N900 is not as tight as will be on Neo900. We can not guarantee that modem is really offline when you switch it offline, there is a theoretical possibility that somebody installs a specially crafted spy-firmware on the modem that would make the modem connect to the network even in offline mode. However that would get noticed sooner or later.

/j
But with the neo900, the user will have the ability to remove power to the modem, right? My understanding is that the neo900 owner will have the ability to power-down the modem under software control (on the main processor), which will give one the freedom from tracking that can be acheived with other phones only by removing the battery. Am I wrong about that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
Battery, battery, battery...
it has been said million times: battery will be the same as in N900. No one have working prototype so no one can say the facts (7 hours, 42 minutes and 3 seconds, just guessing.), but (how has been said in this thread) we are expecting battery life similar as on N900.

Not good enough? Two solutions: (second one is more friendly)
  1. Don't buy it.
  2. Buy Estel's Alu cover with space for second battery (and many more features) - that's my dream.

Status page? There is an neo900.org where you can find some informations, this thread, the developers thread and also Wiki page.

You can help with that, if you want!

#lexik
Hi,

for those who would like to increase the battery life of their N900s I would recommend to have a look to dr_frost_dk posts "Battery Tests, Homemade 3000mAh XL Battery & Q&A (POST #1) - New Layout".

In my case I bought 2x PolarCell batteries and a mugen cover and my device runs non-stop for 2 days+.

Now the question is... will Neo900 consider this and include it in their designs?

Regards,

BTW: I want to congratulate the leaders of this project. I think that initiatives like this one are what we need in this world controlled by big corporations... keep the good work!!

I am so excited...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enekux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ The Northpole
666 votes so far. Keep it up you guys this project sounds very interesting. My n900 broke 2 years ago along with my heart.

-Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to bills2north For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!