Posts: 29 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India Chennai
Does this app work offline without any dataplan or wifi

how to switch to a different task after opening this app or how to minimize this app.

This app is great, its just so quick to use!

Not sure if its possible - is there any way to incorporate traffic, am unsure if there are any services provided free allowing for this or not but always worth asking ;o)

Originally Posted by venkat_i22 View Post

how to switch to a different task after opening this app or how to minimize this app.
yep i guys i also need it but without using internet,I'm in Beijing and ovi maps it doesn t work properly,can i download the map and use it around?

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
@dwaradzyn: Will you increase the area it preloads in the next version? The fade in effect of tiles is pretty cool but it would be better if it preloaded an area that is bigger than what you see.
Of course that issue will be addressed. This was a quick hack. 2D screen(without rotation as it is now) is a simple rectangle that can always be entirely covered by 3x5 tiles of size 256x256. To properly support rotation and 3D with perspective I need to calculate an trapezoid and minimal set of tiles covering it entirely. There is some math that needs to be done before 3D will be usable. Tile engine in CloudGPS also has to be reworked to manage that efficiently. I have it all sorted out but I just need time to code it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by venkat_i22 View Post

Use ctrl+backspace to get back to task manager. Onscreen icon for switching to taskmanager dashboard and closing CloudGPS is planned. It will work offline if you have tiles downloaded earlier. But it will try to connect to Internet every time it encounters a tile that is not available offline. Future versions will include offline mode.

I have proposed CloudGPS to Maemo Coding Competition

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
How does your renderer compare with the one in Mappero? If yours is better, would you consider integrating it with Mappero?

The Following User Says Thank You to talmage For This Useful Post:
Great application, looking forward to seeing it develop.

dwaradzyn, do you have plans to implement a feature that one could use custom offline tile map material? (images with .map/.gmi calibration file)

Originally Posted by talmage View Post
How does your renderer compare with the one in Mappero? If yours is better, would you consider integrating it with Mappero?
I am not aquainted with Mappero internals but skimming its sources makes me belive that replacing rendering specific component would not change things much. Mapppero already uses cairo which provides hardware acceleration through OpenGL ES. It should already be capable of achieving framerates similiar to CloudGPS. Just look how smoothly Mappero does rotate the maps.

I have very limited free time and CloudGPS is developed in hard conditions. I can afford only a few hours a week to code and a few hours to think about its design. CloudGPS for N900 is in its early stages but still some of the comments in this thread indicate that users did not even realize that mapping on N900 can be such a great experience. I consider raising the consciousness a huge success already. I think it will inevitably lead to improvement of other mapping applications on N900. But due to my limited free time I am not really able to be directly involved in development of other projects. Getting accustomed with other projects takes sometimes much more time than designing your own project. If the goals of projects differ enough it is reasonable to start your own.

The goal of my project is to provide simple navigation with great user experience. I do not plan to create GPS swiss army knife (which I belive Mappero aims to be). CloudGPS aims to be something like this:

But I am still eager to help and answer any sensible question.

Last edited by dwaradzyn; 2010-07-20 at 21:44.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:

Tags
best gps app