Active Topics

Could be real, could be imagined.

Coming from our very different perspective in the mobile phone market, what are you waiting for in your next phone?

Right now I can't imagine apple or android pulling me away from maemo... it's a tough spot to be in!

Android or Meego (depending if Nokia has gotten themselves in order). 4 inch screen minimum, qwerty keyboard, hdmi out, hopefully something that combines the accuracy of resistive with sensitivity of capacitative touch.

Though this is in 3-5 years.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I try handheld linux (in the purer form) every few years.. I thought I swore them off since the zaurus, but I just had to try the NIT when I saw the N800. But, that too, made me swear off handheld linux... till I got a great offer for N900.

Since my system-admin-ing days are behind, I don't feel the need for BSD utils so much nowadays (Huzzah!) so I don't think I will be upgrading to MeeGo in the future, unless they come with very interesting content delivery market.

In the short term I plan to stick to iPhone line while keeping an eye out for the Androids. I enjoy trying out new apps and I've seen incredible advances in mobile app development (new ui paradigms, new services offered, interesting content, etc) from Apple's AppStore. I expect the Android app store to rival/catch up to Apple's in about 2 years time. It's currently 190,000 apps vs 50,000 apps.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Waiting for the successor to the N900. If the N900 is step 4 of 5 in Nokia's plans, then hopefully the successor to the N900 will incorporate all the productive feedback that developers and users have provided.

I don't think I would be able to go back to a Blackberry or Apple device at the moment. Android is a a maybe. Symbian seems to have less allure to me. Not that impressed with WebOS.

Given what I spent on the N900, I want to get my money's worth. I plan to hang onto it until there is something clearly better. However, I want Nokia to be more responsive to the needs of their customers. I am pleased that they sponsored this site, I wish they would use these forums more to create a meaningful conversation.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Since I have made the jump the Nexus One if for me. It has issues but what phone doesn't? (That is said here a lot.) I got fed up waiting on the update and no response from Nokia. Then there is the whole issue of leadership(I feel) at the company. The phone is great but in the end I am not a programmer and I don't want apps that are weekend projects. I wanted stability and consistency and professionally created apps. I am happy but I had remorse the day I got rid of N900-who wouldn't. But the Nexus One has exceeded everything I want in a phone and I would recommend it also.

A screen that's 4" or bigger. A dual core cpu (like the ones they were talking about at CEBIT) and 4 row qwerty keyboard and HDMI out that can handle 1080p mkvs. Am I asking a lot here hehe?
________
Miyoshi Plant (Mazda) Picture

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:02.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Meego or other OSS equivalent. Android is no good for me.

gona get me a beeper!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
TBH, the n900 is badass; It would have to be special to warrant an upgrade, ie >= n900.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I'm moving from N900 to N900 PR1.2
Just not sure when...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post: