I have gotten my 770 into host mode, and have a hub, keyboard, and a harddrive connected. The harddrive was working fine, now I cannot get it to mount anymore. The keyboard is working fine, the HDD will work on any other computer. I am not sure how to "see" where it is located when I type dmesg.
Also, how do I add the command to mount the HDD with out having to type it out everytime?
I am slightly new to linux, but am learning. I have done alot of reading, but need more info.

Last edited by Mitsiboy; 2007-11-13 at 22:07.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's been a *long* time since I played with my USB host setup on the 770, so please forgive me if I miss something or blatently lie to you.

There is a Load/Run app (it sits in the system tray up top and shows you how much memory / CPU cycles you're using. When you click on it, it'll also allow you to take a screen shot or "run" something from a menu. (Search for other threads on here for instructions on how to add commands to the run menu, I completely forget.)

Depending on what format the HDD is, you may need certain kernel modules loaded. CIFS (Common Internet File System) was one of them to mount network drives (the file was cifs.ko). You'll probably have a different one unless the drive is a native Linux format (like ext3). If your drive is NTFS (Windows) formatted, the module should be something like ntfs-3g.

Can you detect stuff like USB keys or mp3 players? Could be that your setup just stopped working for some reason, especially if the HUB is battery powered and the batteries died. Remember, the 770, unlike other USB hosts, doesn't provide the 5 volts to power the external device... you have to provide it yourself with a hardware hack.

(If all that comes off as techno-gibberish, lemmie know and I'll tone 'er down a bit)

Cheers,
Hedge

I have a hub that send 5v to the 770. The usb keyboard works fine. The problem is that, all of a sudden, my hdd will not work. If I dmesg and post that can you tell what is going on?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can try... and if not someone else should be able to.

What happens when you try to mount it from the command line? Any error message?

yes, it says that it is not a valid file or directory. I have made sure that I am mounting it to the correct directory that I did when it was working.

Can you type out the mount command *exactly* as you're typing it?

(I know, I know, syntax, etc. is probably good but I have to ask)

mount /dev/sda1 /home/user/MyDocs/hd
I have tried sda0-3 and sdb0-3. Also, I have made hd a directory

That's utterly bizarre. You're running it under sudo right? (I think you need root to mount stuff). Have you got a USB key you could try mounting too as a test?

heya hedgecore, I'm having troubles connecting through a usb hub... Host mode works with keyboard or memory stick plugged in without the hub, but not when connected through it. Do I need to load any modules (drivers )? The hub works fine with the pc
10x

How are you plugging it in without the hub? Are you using a voltage injector like thoughtfix designed? The hub may regulate the 5v you're trying to inject and in effect turn it into a normal USB connection without any additional power replacing what the 770 isn't providing.